Talk

Advanced search

Couture, Hornchurch- done a runner?

(8 Posts)
FellOutOfBed2wice Mon 20-Nov-17 17:55:33

Hi

Anyone got any info on what’s happened with this shop? Owner seems to have done a runner and deleted all websites etc this last week. My friends have paid a hefty deposit for suits and a wedding dress from there for March 2018. There seems to be literally no way of getting in touch with the owner, sign outside says they haven’t paid their rent and skipped off.

OfficerGrant Mon 20-Nov-17 20:14:46

Have a look on the Upminster Facebook page. All the info is on there. It's not good.

FellOutOfBed2wice Mon 20-Nov-17 20:29:56

Thanks Officer- not good like my friend is definitely not getting their money back then? I can’t believe he’s done this, he’s been there for years.

OfficerGrant Mon 20-Nov-17 21:12:32

Doesn't look like it sadly. He's a wrongun by the looks of it. I hope everyone has wedding insurance that will cover the extra expenses

BananaSandwichesEveryDay Mon 20-Nov-17 22:26:58

Strange after being there for so many years. Very sad for anyone who's paid money for wedding attire. Also for the staff who have, presumably, found themselves without a job just before Christmas.

FellOutOfBed2wice Mon 20-Nov-17 23:48:50

My friend doesn’t have wedding insurance so that’s rubbish sad Banana yeah that shop has genuinely been there 30+ years, I never remember it not being there, but apparently he’s on to his third wife so maybe he’s got legal fees to pay and it’s skinted him? Who knows but as you say, awful for the people who’ve handed over money in good faith and the people who are out of work.

BananaSandwichesEveryDay Tue 21-Nov-17 08:30:47

Yes, fell out, it's at least 30 years. It's been in Hornchurch at least as long as I've lived here. We used the shop years ago for dcs prom suits and dh used to hire occasionally for posh work dos.
I drive past it every day to and from work - windows are still all dressed as usual. Interestingly, the other shop, owned by the wife, also closed recently and is now a beauty place. As if we needed yet another one of those in the town centre!

FellOutOfBed2wice Tue 21-Nov-17 09:16:30

There’s a woman on the Hornchurch Facebook group who’s got in touch with someone who used to work there who’s been able to get into the shop and get a few dresses apparently so that’s something.

Interesting that the windows are still dressed, sounds like he really has done a moonlight flit and not even taken the stock. A friend of a friend worked there as a student about 15-20yrs age and she was saying when I saw her at playgroup yesterday that she wasn’t shocked: he was hard work to be employed by: delays with wages and prying into/spying on employees personal business so this was exactly the kind of thing he would do!! Why are some people so awful? Your wedding should be such a happy time and there are now poor brides and grooms stuck worrying about having lost money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now