Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Guernsey

(2 Posts)
Bev18766 Mon 20-Nov-17 13:18:05

So my husband has been offered a job with his company to relocate to Guernsey. I have never been there so don’t know what to expect other than the research I have done myself. We live in Epsom in the South of London and don’t have a lot of family here except my brother in law who is 24 but great with our kids.

We have a 3year old and a 5 month old. I have a large network of friends in London who are very supportive. So I will be giving up a lot to come and live there. What I would like to know is what are the job prospects like for me? From my research they have a high employment rate. How easy is it to build up networks of friends? We have worked out the cost of living compared to London with information we have been given and researched but I want to know what is it really like from some living in Guernsey who maybe used to live in London. What are the schools like?

RandomUsernameHere Mon 20-Nov-17 16:58:00

Hi @Bev18766 I don't know much about Guernsey but thought I'd reply as we are about to move to Jersey. Similar situation to you in that DH was asked to relocate there by his company. We have 2 preschool age DC and live in the SE (used to live in London).
We went over to Jersey for 2 weeks in August so I could get to know it a bit before making a decision, as I'd never been there before. I really liked it and everyone I've met so far has been lovely and friendly. We have found a great school for our DCs and financially we will be much better off over there. The biggest advantage though is going to be more quality family time together, as DH has a horrendous commute at the moment. The pace of life over there is also more relaxed.
Good luck with your decision and hopefully someone else will post who knows Guernsey!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »