Talk

Advanced search

St John's School Billericay Review

(21 Posts)
essexmum2015 Sun 19-Nov-17 21:07:09

Hi All,

I have a 3 year old daughter. I am currently researching about schools in Billericay area.

I tried searching online to find some reviews about St John's School but cant find much information except for its facebook page.

I would really appreciate if anyone can provide some more information / personal experience with this school.

Many thanks in advance. smile

PerspicaciaTick Mon 20-Nov-17 01:56:40

Have you looked at the ISI reports?
www.isi.net/school/st-john-s-school-6992

There are so many good state schools in Billericay, I've always wondered why people send their children to St Johns.

HeyRoly Mon 20-Nov-17 22:40:38

AFAIK its results aren't better than the local state schools. And anecdotally, it's apparently quite "chaotic" with pupils wandering the corridors at all times (said to me by someone who recently started working there having worked at a local state school). I guess it has a more relaxed ethos - depends whether that appeals, I suppose!

essexmum2015 Mon 20-Nov-17 22:48:18

Thanks for your feedback. I live in Basildon. I am not part of the catchment area required Billericay's state schools so wanted some information on St Johns. The ISI report looks ok to me but being first time parent I dont know what to expect confused

HeyRoly Tue 21-Nov-17 09:58:01

Well in that case I'd have a look at the results for your local schools and St Johns and see how they compare. Although if I were you, I'd consider using the spare income I had for school fees and put it towards moving house, if Basildon schools aren't an option for you (although I was schooled in Basildon and turned out pretty well grin).

PerspicaciaTick Tue 21-Nov-17 18:15:01

Look into moving east towards SS7 postcodes and the rest. It would put you in catchment for the Southend Grammars.

PetiteOurse Tue 22-May-18 16:12:58

Hello, if you have any question about St John's in Billericay please contact me. This is a great school. Small classes max 10 kids per class, good teaching, nice atmosphere. Above all, nice friends made there so far.

essexmum2015 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:53:48

Thanks great @PetiteOurse.

Is your son/daughter in primary school there? I have been searching online and there is mixed opinion on the school. Glad to hear your experience is very positive so far.

essexmum2015 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:29:36

Thanks @PetiteOurse.

(Not able to edit post somehow confused)

PetiteOurse Tue 19-Jun-18 12:38:40

Hi, yes. I would add a pinch of salt to my comment. It was a good day when I wrote my comment... I mean in every single school there are good and bad sides... I think the school is fine. Am I impressed? Not at all and if you are lucky to live locally to go to a state school in Billericay then I would not waste money on private system which follows national curriculum anyway. Classes of 10 are not any better in fact as it can lead to being too much judgemental of every single kid whereas in a class of 30 kids are maybe more "themselves". I don't know, this is what I am wondering...

essexmum2015 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:53:43

Thanks for the quick reply.

I agree with you there are good and bad in every schools.

Would you be able to point out some goods and bads about this school? I live in Basildon so do not come in catchment area for other Billericay schools so I have option of either Lee Chapel Primary School in basildon or St Johns Billericay.

PetiteOurse Tue 19-Jun-18 13:04:54

What do you mean by "I have option of either Lee Chapel Primary School in basildon or St Johns Billericay"? As you will have to pay for one of those?

essexmum2015 Tue 19-Jun-18 13:23:23

I mean, I come in catchment area of Lee Chapel Primary school (in Basildon).

Not sure if I should go for Lee Chapel Primary School (state) or St Johns (private).

PetiteOurse Tue 19-Jun-18 14:31:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

essexmum2015 Tue 19-Jun-18 16:24:14

Many thanks for the detailed information.

It is very useful for me to decide on it. I prefer to push my daughter academically so I think it would be ok for me.

My daughter will be joining in 2019. Hope to see you there smile

SantaBarbara2018 Tue 03-Jul-18 14:52:34

© Independent Schools Inspectorate 2013
"Behaviour management throughout the school is based on positive reinforcement
and the pupils feel that they are well supported by their teachers. Pupils feel that the
rules and sanctions are fair and justified and that bullying or harassment of any kind
is unacceptable. In the questionnaire distributed to parents in connection with the
inspection a small number expressed the view that the school did not deal well with
any cases of bullying, but inspectors could find no evidence to support this view.
The questionnaire distributed to pupils was completed by a small number of whom a
small minority felt that the school did not take account of their views and teachers
were not fair in the way they gave rewards and sanctions."

PetiteOurse Thu 05-Jul-18 10:05:49

Hello, we won't see you there in 2019 as we removed our child from that school a week ago. Good luck with your search.

Myfanwyprice Thu 05-Jul-18 10:16:00

Primary schools in Basildon aren’t terrible, have you visited those you would be in catchment for?

Also the daily commute to Billericay for St Johns would/could be quite busy.

PetiteOurse Thu 05-Jul-18 15:23:59

You have to arrive very early if not you ll ge stuck in traffic on Stock rd then in traffic to enter the school. Worse case scenario you could park then walk from lake Meadows too. Now we left i ll try to put honest plus and minus points abt the school. As I wrote previously, one can be unhappy woth state school X or Z, we had it with st Johns no quite from start, it was a buildup over the months. What works for one kid is destructive for another etc but they don’t adapt.

essexmum2015 Sat 14-Jul-18 18:00:36

Hi @PetiteOurse, sorry to hear that you had to remove your child from the school. Could you please share some reasons for it?

Traffic is a concern, we are planning to do a school trip during normal school hours to get realistic idea about it.

Thanks xx

essexmum2015 Sat 14-Jul-18 18:02:34

Hi @Myfanwyprice, thanks for the info. I have visited some, it looks like Lee chapel is a comparatively good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: