Talk

Advanced search

Secondary schools in Sheffield

(6 Posts)
windowboxes Fri 17-Nov-17 10:16:24

We are considering moving near to Sheffield (probably Dore but possibly towards Peaks in Grindleford / Hathersage) in the next 1-2 years due to family but also schooling.

I am keen to hear people's views and experiences on the local secondaries, considering:

Sheffield Girl's High
Westbourne School
King Ecgberts
Silverdale

We have two DDs to consider in this, one would still be at primary for 4-5yrs but my eldest will be around 8-9 when we move. I would consider sending her to the private school (and possibly Girls only) all through if needs be. She is academically bright (towards top of her class at a good state primary), i think she would thrive in a small ish school where individuality is nurtured. Currently she is sporty BUT In all honesty I don't think this is her strongest point so could see that changing as she gets older (hopefully I am wrong!). She is also musical and loves drama. I have slight concerns that as she gets older she may not deal with stress / pressure brilliantly (younger sister is much more easy going) and that is something I am aware we may need to guard against. Although I think she could achieve a lot academically It's more about getting a school that she can be happy in.

Wondering if anyone has any children at these schools and could shed any light? I will of course arrange a visit at them all too!
Thanks

BarbarianMum Fri 17-Nov-17 11:20:02

If you want a "smallish" school then you will have to go private I'm afraid, as state secondaries in Sheffield are generally 1000+ (1600 is standard). If you can cope with that size then maybe consider adding Notre Dame and Dronfield Henry Fanshawe to your list but you will have to pay close attention to addmissions criteria and catchment to get into any of these schools (DHF has a small catchment but big intake so kids living up to 5km out of catchment do get in but it is massively oversubscribed so a risk). Silverdale, Tapton - not even all catchment kids nevessarily get in. Notre Dame is a faith school.

BarbarianMum Fri 17-Nov-17 11:20:46

Oh and if you want to live in the Peak then check out Lady Manners in Bakewell too.

Hulababy Sun 19-Nov-17 17:39:02

DD is at SHS and really likes it there, She is in Year 11 so coming to the end of her GCSEs now. She started there in year 7, as do many, and settled in very quickly and made some great friends throughout. It is a fairly academic school but also aims to enrich the curriculum in other ways too. Its isn't all about exams and academia there. DD is doing well there and there is a wide range of abilities to be fair, it isn't just the top end. DD is currently doing drama and there is always one or two shows each year open to the whole school. It is also well known for its sporting opportunities and several of the girls there do participate in sport to a high level. I think there are about 125 girls in DD's year and this seems to be the same for all years in the senior school - 5 form classes of 25 girls. The class sizes are often smaller than this though, especially in English, Maths and Science.

Before SHS DD was at Ashdell prep. This has now merged with the High School as of this summer though.

DD did look round Westbourne and we did get a good feel for it. However, it is a fair bit smaller than the High School and we have noticed that several pupils do transfer throughout the senior school, from Westbourne into SHS and Birkdale (boys.) Not sure why that i however.

windowboxes Mon 20-Nov-17 20:59:04

Thank you all these are good tips. I will look into Lady Manners.

Hulababy, you have confirmed my thoughts on SHS, I am quite interested in the idea of all girls, have read a lot about it and believe there can be several advantages so will look into them all further and arrange some visits for DD.

Yorkshirebetty Sun 04-Mar-18 11:25:43

You won't get into Silverdale or Tapton. Look at schools nearby if you're moving to Derbyshire eg Lady Manners. Or just go for Sheffield High School.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: