Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Cambridgeshire villages

(9 Posts)
Busymummy50 Wed 15-Nov-17 11:47:04

I've been to see a few places in Cambridgeshire and visited cambourne village college.

Although initially liked cambourne (but not the new builds) we are considering the smaller villages south and west of Cambridge.

DS will be due to go secondary soon so we are looking at secondaries and liked the sound of Comberton Village college from the research I have done.

We are currently in London where it is very multicultural. I understand moving out of London often means it will be less diverse culturally. I don't have an issue with this at all. My children are half Chinese and I would like to know if they will fit in ok. I mean we would like to live in an area where people are friendly and accepting of the ethnic minority.

I grew up in London and not sure what it's like outside of london. I imagine Cambridge would be more diverse but please can someone let me know what the villages are like?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 15-Nov-17 16:01:08

The closer you are to Cambridge the less problems you will find. Comberton Village College has a great reputation.

I have found there is quite a lot of racism in the towns and villages around South Cambs/Bedfordshire borders. Check out the local Facebook pages - they will give you a good idea of attitudes generally.

Busymummy50 Thu 16-Nov-17 21:17:15

Any more opinions/information please anyone?

grumpysquash3 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:48:40

I am also from London, now living in S. Cambs village. Unsurprisingly Cambridge is less diverse than London; that said, there is still a decent enough mix. My DC are in class with students whose families are from many countries in Europe, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, Nigeria. There is quite a big Chinese community in Cambridge too, lots of cultural stuff to do.
To be honest, the racial mix is probably greater than the class mix.

EmmaGrundyForPM Fri 17-Nov-17 00:47:28

My dc went to Comberton Village College. Ds2 had several friends who were of Chinese heritage. The villages to the west of Cambridge tend to house a lot of the university staff, many of whom are from overseas. However, it's a lot less diverse than London round here.

Cambourne itself is more ethnically diverse than many other nearby villages but the Village College catchment area is only Cambourne, not surrounding villages.

Busymummy50 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:08:17

Which villages are a bit bigger and has shops and more children activities within comberton catchment?

I spoke to school admissions and they have me a list of areas:

Coton,
Hardwick
Bourn
Comberton
Haslingfield
Barton

There's more but I don't remember!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 17-Nov-17 14:49:12

Hardwick has a very nice gastro pub but that’s not what you asked!

DorothyParker111 Fri 17-Nov-17 15:36:07

To give you some sense of scale, here is 2011 census data (from Wikipedia)

Coton 910
Hardwick 2670
Bourn 1015
Comberton 2400
Haslingfield 1507
Barton 846

I understand that you want good facilities in your village but in your previous thread you didn't seem keen on Melbourn, which at 4000 residents has much more going on locally than most villages. You also need to think through your journey(s) to work really carefully - peak 'hour' traffic is dreadful for about 5 hours a day. Where do you or your husband need to be for work?

Busymummy50 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:52:03

We went to Melbourn once, we liked that it was a bigger village and that it has a secondary school and shops and closer to London slightly which is where partner needs to go to work. But we was hoping to move within comberton catchment and Melbourn is not in the catchment for secondary school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now