Talk

Advanced search

Moving up North

(9 Posts)
Fhour Tue 14-Nov-17 05:47:47

DH and I are moving back to the UK after a few years working abroad. We're priced out of the South and don't want to rent. We've got 4 kids and the schools are so oversubscribed from each of our local areas it's all become quite a headache. Hence the decision to go for it and move up North.

It's something I've been banging on about for a few years now but DH has had no interest in until lately where he's (thankfully) come to the conclusion that there must be an alternative to the life we currently lead where he is a total slave for the corporate company he works for whilst I'm on my own at home with the kids all the bloody time.

So. He's found a few jobs which he will apply for; Leeds, York and Cumbria so far. I understand these are all totally different places - and I'll be posting on the other respective boards for info - but can anyone here shed a bit of light on life with kids in Leeds? Areas to live? Areas to avoid? We'll have about £350k to spend on a house hopefully.

Many, many thanks for any advice. I have absolutely no idea where to start with this! :-/

StrongerThanIThought76 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:39:44

Leeds and York are fantastic cities. Both have something for everyone, really accessible. I live between both and can travel into either city within 30 minutes by car or train. Lots to do with kids in both cities - museums, days out, interesting sights and lots of history. Lots of retail in both, in the city and retail parks on the fringes.

I have family in Cumbria (South Lakes) and whilst it is beautiful there are really no big cities in the whole area, public transport can be rubbish, roads can be mostly single carriageway and clogged with traffic, making everything seem So Far Apart. The M6 gives quick access to Manchester.

Cumbria is simply the wrong side of the Pennines! Come to Yorkshire!

alphajuliet123 Wed 15-Nov-17 11:19:32

Cumbria is lovely but a bugger to get to, took me 3 hours to get from Leeds to Penrith recently, so if you are likely to be visiting family down south I'd rule it out.

Leeds is amazing with loads going on, fantastic shopping, restaurants, culture etc. But, it is a big city and I'm not sure how much you'll get in good areas for £350k. Nicest areas are Roundhay, Horsforth and Bramhope, and further out you have Ilkley and Burley-in-Wharfedale both on a regular train into Leeds. Then there's all the places on the York side, Collingham, Wetherby, Easingwold, Bramham to name a few.

But, ahhhh, North Yorkshire.... probably the finest county in the land. Not at all biased haha, but google the Dales to see what stunning looks like! Look at Harrogate and Knaresborough (also on train lines) and in and around York too.

I know you will be really happy up here, congratulations, great life choice!

fikel Wed 15-Nov-17 14:18:07

Leeds is fantastic, I live in Alwoodley, primary and high schools are rated v highly. My dd is at Allerton high which is in top 5%. You would probably get a decent semi detached for around that price. I think you would struggle buying in York as house prices have rocketed. A friend who has lived in York since the 90s said their first house purchase, a 3 bedroom terrace is now worth 600k.
We are on the doorstep of the most amazing country side. Leeds city centre has everything you want, with a choice of great theatres.

TotL Wed 15-Nov-17 16:06:42

I currently live in Leeds and have been here for 5 years, and previously lived in York. I love both cities for completely different reasons but both are within easy access of transport links and routes with tons of activities for young children around both districts. As for buying in York you may struggle to get something of a decent size for that money but if you go over the border in to East Yorkshire (Stamford Bridge/Wilberfoss/Pocklingtone etc) you are still a short drive from the city but house prices are significantly cheaper. As for Leeds that money will get you something decent in West/North West Leeds (Pudsey, Farsley, Calverley, Adel), or North East Leeds (Garforth, Scholes etc). I love living in this area of the country; having lived in many areas of the country and abroad, I always knew I would return to Yorkshire to settle down and have kids.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 15-Nov-17 23:00:03

The nicest bits of Leeds are in the north. They vary a bit - Headingley is studenty, Chapel Allerton is trendier, Roundhay and Horsforth are established family areas etc. Schools vary a bit, and the better ones are very popular, particularly at primary. You could probably get a 4 bed semi for that sort of money. Leeds is great though - lots going on but so close to stunning countryside too.

To get more house for your money I'd think about Huddersfield too.

Creambun2 Sat 18-Nov-17 18:58:32

York is ruined by tourists all the time and vile, screaming, hen/stag parties Thurs - Sun inclusive. When the races is on the behaviour in down before/after is disgusting too. Avoid.

Fhour Mon 20-Nov-17 00:14:43

Thanks everyone for your responses, they've helped a great deal :0)

Owlpatrol Mon 20-Nov-17 18:27:47

Have you thought a bit further south such as holme valley it's gorgeous there with loads of kids friendly stuff and close to the m1 for easy access to the south? You can be in Leeds on train or driving in under an hour x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now