Talk

Advanced search

Moving from Minnesota, ?? Birmingham commute, schools, rentals, Dance

(3 Posts)
Northmole Thu 09-Nov-17 14:49:15

My husband will be taking a position with the NHS in Edgbaston, Birmingham. Seeking advice for schools, especially secondary and houses to rent out of the city. I will not be working so we are hoping to stay under 1200 month but need a safe family friendly area. we are from a very small rural town and appreciate a somewhat rural location, but train station nearby. Willing to commute by train up to 40min. Thinking maybe Warwick area, or Solihull. Not sure.....Also, my son is a dancer and would like to find a school that has a dance program or a good studio nearby. Most important are safe area, schools, and dance (not up to Elmhurst standards I'm afraid wink )

crunched Thu 09-Nov-17 19:04:07

Warwick has a much more rural feel than Solihull. There are excellent academic independent schools, Warwick School for boys and I understand Solihull School is good. There are grammar options in Stratford-upon-Avon if you are not planning to pay fees. Obviously Stratford has the RSC but there are good restaurants and cultural options also in Leamington Spa.
Edgbaston has a pretty unique feel for a city area... fabulous foodie area, though the whole of Birmingham has many Michelin starred establishments... but does feel metropolitan. There are brilliant academic schools within the city.
I would say that Warwick, Stratford and Leamington are all safe family areas. I have not heard of Elmhurst so cannot compare...
Re. dance schools I only know the one we used and I doubt that will be a high enough standard... The boys I know who are talented dancers seem to board at The Royal Ballet School from 11.
If you want a more sleepy option, Claverdon is a small village but does have a station.
I don't know much about Minnesota but I'm guessing our winters may be a bit warmer!

Northmole Sat 11-Nov-17 03:50:54

Yes! -11C last night will not will not be missed. Was hoping not to train quite so far, but I want a village feel, not big city. More what we're used to. I'll check those possibilities! Thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now