Talk

Advanced search

Women's groups

(10 Posts)
Partyof7 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:39:31

I'm a SAHM of 5. All 5 are now at school leaving me wondering how to fill my days. A day job, at the moment is not an option though currently looking for some evening work. Have any of you been to/ know of women's groups or such like in the Belfast area. I'm just really looking somewhere to make a few friends and kill some of the boredom!
Thanks in advance x

Bellriver Sat 04-Nov-17 11:50:59

my GP surgery had a list of mum’s groups to join, I haven’t been to any yet though - I’m in Belfast too - I’m still off on maternity leave my little girl is only 4 and a bit months and I was lucky my sister had her little boy a few weeks after me so we’ve been able to keep each other company. You could see if your GP has the same kind of list maybe?

Hope you find something! x

Partyof7 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:14:22

@Bellriver that is lovely that your babies are so together in age. I'm sure you and your sister will be a great support to one another. I have googles women's groups in Belfast, bit nothing coming up that's very appealing. Will keep searching though. Thankyou x

Bellriver Sat 04-Nov-17 18:44:10

Have you tried an exercise class maybe? I used to go to Zumba and I loved it and met loads of lovely ladies through it we are all still friends even though the exercise was left behind!

FilledSoda Sat 04-Nov-17 19:25:10

Are you just looking for something during school hours?
That could be tricky,if not there are knitting type groups at the library or book clubs in cafes , bars , people's homes
Are you on Nextdoor.com ?
It's quite active where I am in East Belfast

Partyof7 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:55:14

@Bellriver thankyou. I'll certainly look into that. @FilledSoda I've never heard of that. I will take a wee look. I'm sure there are loads of things to do if i look hard enough. I'm hoping to take some education classes in the new year, but just need to be a bit more sociable during school hours.

ulsterscot Tue 07-Nov-17 08:18:50

Have you considered volunteering for at least part of the time? You can get from it as much enjoyment as you give to others. Finding something to fit around school drop off/pick up times and or school holidays can be tricky though, but is possible. Why not check out www.volunteernow.co.uk/ to see if anything interests you.

ulsterscot Tue 07-Nov-17 08:22:13

Meant to also say, the additional benefit of doing some volunteering is that you can gain extra skills and/or references that are useful for a SAHM trying to eventually get back into employment (part time or full time).

Partyof7 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:45:59

@ulsterscot volunteering is something that has crossed my mind more than once. I guess I should think less and just start becoming more involved in our area. Thankyou.

ulsterscot Sun 12-Nov-17 10:07:21

@Partyof7 Go for it!

Even if you have to try a few things before you find what's right for you. Some local groups need volunteers for one off events around Christmas time too, such as helping at parties for the elderly, so you could 'dip your toe in' to get a feel for it at something like that.

Or have a look at the Turn Up and Try page on Volunteer Now, which has several 'taster' options available in various parts of Northern Ireland for Nov/Dec.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now