Talk

Advanced search

Relocating to Birmingham to start a New Life

(10 Posts)
andress Mon 30-Oct-17 14:13:10

Hi

I am moving to Birmingham mid December and I am looking for place for my 7 and 10 year old and I to live, preferably and shared place for a short time , until I can find a place on my own.

It is not easy to leave everything you work so hard for behind, because you lost all of it in one day. I am relocating to the Birmingham, because I lost everything to Hurricane Irma in the British Virgin Islands, and i'm trying to make a new start, especially for the kids.

I have savings, but not much, so i'm trying to find a place to share or an affordable place to rent until I can get myself back together.

Also will need help or any info, on registering them for schools

Many thanks

BackforGood Mon 30-Oct-17 14:29:28

Really sorry to hear of your troubles.

Will your 10 yr old turn 11 before 31st August 2018 ?
If so, they will be looking for a secondary school. If not, both will be looking for Primary school places.

Here is the information about school admissions, however, I think you need an address first.

Do you know people in Birmingham? It is a massive City. Do you have any reason to live in one part or another ?

andress Mon 30-Oct-17 14:39:43

My 10 year old will be turning 11 in November 2018, I do know people in Birmingham, they live in the Edgbaston area, but they too are full, I was thinking on staying with a friend, but she is living in a studio apt.

andress Mon 30-Oct-17 14:41:15

BackforGood: I forgot to thank you for the information on the school admissions.

Many Thanks

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 30-Oct-17 20:40:23

Does it have to be the city? It’s cheaper out of town. Handsworthwood is nice and lots of rentals in that area. My daughter lives round there.
Or Sutton Coldfield, Lichfield, Walsall. All borders and easy reach of the city

Blackdiamondkutz Mon 30-Oct-17 21:01:52

Thanks James, no it doesn't, just looking for a place that's kids friendly.

Many thanks

Caulk Tue 31-Oct-17 07:36:37

I’m yet to find anywhere in Birmingham that isn’t child friendly.

Are you going to be renting or can you get help with housing from the council? It’s not uncommon for schools to be a long distance from home, at least to begin with as many schools are oversubscribed and have a long waiting list.

Blackdiamondkutz Tue 31-Oct-17 08:53:39

Well I was going to rent, but I guess I can try to get help from the council, we are all British Citizens.

Thank you Caulk

Caulk Tue 31-Oct-17 09:09:03

I would rent if you can, or you’re likely to be housed in a temporary hostel for a while which

Blackdiamondkutz Tue 31-Oct-17 13:45:17

Thank you Caulk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: