Talk

Advanced search

Primary schools in Trafford

(10 Posts)
Nifferrea101 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:09:19

Hi all

We’re making the move from London and as my parter will be working in Warrington and I’ll be working in central Manchester Trafford seems an obvious place to live. We’ve got a 15 month old son. We’ll rent first then buy later but I can’t stop panicking about primary schools (I know it’s a while off!). I know there are great ones in the area but I know a lot of them are over subscribed. Do all kids get places even if not at first choices? We’ll use school catchments as a guide when buying but that almost seems pointless as I’ve heard some people don’t get in even if within catchment. I keep waking in the night worrying he won’t get in anywhere! Is it a bad idea moving to such a popular area?! Can someone remind me what a great place to live Trafford is and it’ll all be worth it!!

Nifferrea101 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:26:41

I should point out that I always worry about stuff way before I need to. We can easily rent in the area and then find out if buying there will be right for us. But I can’t work out how it all works if there are so many people wanting primary school places. Are there loads of kids who just don’t get in or who have to travel miles to another school?

TwoBlueFish Wed 01-Nov-17 18:22:06

There’s lots of great primary schools in Altrincham. If you find a house and are worried about the School catchment then it’s worth phoning the school and asking for information for the last few years as to where the actual cut off was.

TwoBlueFish Wed 01-Nov-17 18:24:37

I fon’t Know w anyone who had to travel miles to a primary school. You fill out a form with your choices and as long as you are picking local schools you should get one. The only times I think it can be tricky is if you’re moving into an area once places have already been allocated.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:57:00

Just a word of advice to check the Trafford admissions guidelines - we moved into Trafford as we applied for school places and had to have at least a 12 month tenancy (or to have exchanged contracts on a purchase) in order for our address to be considered as our "permanent" address. That was a few years ago but you need to check.

As a pp has said, there are few cases of not getting a school close by, but just check the admissions criteria / catchment for each school carefully.

Monr0e Thu 02-Nov-17 10:48:27

Do you have a particular area in mind? Trafford covers a very large area. The schools in Altrincham, Sale and Timperley are great. Trafford also covers Stratford, Clifton, Urmston and others. Have you been to the areas at all to get a feel for them first?

theknackster Thu 02-Nov-17 11:46:00

I assume you mean 'Stretford' and 'Flixton', Monr0e grin

Unless Trafford Borough Council have extended the southern border as far as Bristol. Would certainly increase the council tax take, I guess grin

OP - there is a lot of primary school expansion going on in Altrincham at the moment, so you should be fine there if that's where you want.

Monr0e Thu 02-Nov-17 11:52:10

Ha, Yes! My phone auto correcting for me
Definitely meant Stretford and Flixton smile

GabriellaMontez Mon 06-Nov-17 10:22:40

There are a handful of children every year who end up travelling. They usually live at the edge of catchment.

Several schools have been expanded but they were already oversubscribed. Many new flats are being built so these places will soon be soaked up.

The Trafford admissions are very helpful. You could ask them about specific schools.

Lifechallenges Mon 06-Nov-17 23:14:05

I really wouldn't panic. Everyone I know in Trafford got in a decent school they wanted. Just decide where you fancy living and then look at the schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now