Talk

Advanced search

Stepson who doesn't want to sleep on his own

(3 Posts)
Lilidae Wed 04-Oct-17 21:51:13

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have been with my boyfriend for over 4 years, we are getting married in June next year. My partner has a 6 yo stepson who comes to us one night a week, every other week end and every Sundays. My stepson always trouble with his sleep to the point where he would come to our bed every night. I am not talking about the early hours jumping in bed (6 or 7 am) - I would rather have that - but I am talking about him coming to our bed at midnight, 1am, 3 or 4 am in the morning and finish the night with us. To the point last year where it was not possible to carry on like this. So we had to put our foot down and managed step by step to bring him back to his room. He has a comfy room with all his toys, his fishes, ..... a couple of weeks ago, his mum told my partner that the boy didn't like to come to us anymore which was quite hard to hear for my partner. So we tried our best the following week end to give him as much attention as we can. Now we have just found out that he doesn't like coming to us because he doesn't want to sleep on his own. His mum is now insisting that he sleeps with us. I am not comfortable with that at all. I believe that our room is our room and his room is his and things should stay that way and he should get used to it. I don't mind him coming to our bed on the morning but not the whole night. Now the boy never sleeps on his own at home. He either sleeps in the same room as his brother or he goes to sleep in his mum's bed, which obviously makes it difficult for us. I am just not sure how to handle the situation or advice my partner. We want the boy to feel at ease when he is with us but we can't give up on our bed and nights. Any advice or experience would be welcome. Many thanks

Mama234 Wed 04-Oct-17 22:25:12

Is he scared of the dark? Could you perhaps get him a nice night light? I don't know what hes into but my son has a star wars one he likes.

Lilidae Wed 04-Oct-17 23:18:57

He has a big light already, definitely doesn't sleep without it already

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »