Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Barnsley

(19 Posts)
Justalittlebitblondie Sat 30-Sep-17 18:55:47

Hello - it looks like we will be moving to Monk Bretton for husbands job and would appreciate any hints/tips of places to go/avoid, things to do and see, restaurants - well everything really!

Thanks

fatzak Sat 30-Sep-17 19:27:49

Hi! I'm not strictly speaking in Barnsley, but just outside on the Huddersfield side! Do you know the area at all? Sadly the centre of Barnsley doesn't offer a huge amount although I did read that they are planning a new development. Meadowhall is only 15 mins or so down the M1 from Barnsley, so that's probably your best shopping option. You have Cannon Hall and Yorkshire Sculpture park not far away from you for outside things to do. Am sure that someone who is actually from Barnsley will be able to give you more info, but I'll help if no one can!

Justalittlebitblondie Sat 30-Sep-17 20:38:30

Thank you! Don’t know the area at all really - currently living a bit further north - going to do a reccy this week I think...

kath6144 Sat 30-Sep-17 21:22:21

My mum lived in Monk Bretton until she died last year, never lived there myself but mums estate was a nice part. They lived just off Huddersfield road when I was still at home.

My cousins live Penistone and Ward Green, Penistone in particular is nice, do you have to be close to town centre?

When I was back in Barnsley a lot in 2015/early 16, they were just starting to re-develop the town centre, should be further along now.

Hopefully someone who actually lives in Barnsley now will come along and post more about the town and facilities.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 01-Oct-17 09:19:34

West of the M1 has nice villages and excellent schools. Silkstone, Silkstone Common, Hoylandswaine, Thurgoland, Penistone and Cawthorne are all worth considering.

Hs2Issue Sun 01-Oct-17 12:45:15

We moved to Penistone last year which is lovely, it's described as semi-rural and is a really nice place. Barnsley itself is a bit rundown but council are building new shopping centre etc in the town centre its still under construction though the new indoor market is finished.

Very nice Turkish restaurant in Barnsley where we recently ate called Pasha.

A friend lives in Monk Bretton and loves it there. I know Darton and Mapplewell a bit more and they seem quite nice. Penistone where we moved to has excellent and good primary schools and a good high school.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 01-Oct-17 19:10:38

Barnsley is improving, I live not too far from Monk Bretton, close to J38.

They have started demolishing many of the old buildings for the new development.

The cinema is sweet, and cheap. The market is pretty good especially for fruit / veg and meat, although we usually go to one of the farm shops.

I live close to Darton and it is great.

There are some great pubs close to me who do brilliant food. The Royal is great for tapas and the Crown and Anchor does a lovely sunday lunch.

Do you have kids? Cannon Hall is good, the museum in Barnsley fills an hour and the library often has stuff on. The Civic is great for plays for children aged 3 - 8 and has a few good things on for adults. The sculpture park is fantastic (I live really close).

If you want any more information please message me, I'm happy to chat, and if I don't know I know someone who will IYSWIM!

LoniceraJaponica Sun 01-Oct-17 19:23:39

We couldn't get into The Royal last week. The car park was rammed - on a Tuesday night, so we went to the Spencer Arms in Cawthorne and had an amazing meal. The Dilraj in Dodworth is our favourite Indian. The cinema in Penistone is brilliant as is the one in Barnsley - both are independently run. They are rebuilding a lot of the town centre and it will be really good when finished.

If I want to do some serious clothes hopping I go to Meadowhall though.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 01-Oct-17 19:33:15

We usually book about a month in advance Lonicera and can get the bus from our house to right outside, it's not worth thinking about driving.

Have you tried the white bull at cannon hall farm? Ate there recently and the food was lovely too.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 01-Oct-17 19:40:09

Is that the cafe there?

BikeRunSki Sun 01-Oct-17 20:18:07

I live very close to fatzak and have also met Glenn. Also on the Huddersfield side. I'd also recommend Penistone and the villages around Denby Dale (HD8 area). Semi rural - rural. Schools are generally better on the Huddersfield (Kirklees) side than Barnsley I believe. I understand that Barnsley are struggling with high school provision, so that might be worth looking into further if relevant.

BikeRunSki Sun 01-Oct-17 20:19:10

I was at Cannon Hall today. Brilliant day out for dc up to about 10.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 01-Oct-17 20:49:57

"I understand that Barnsley are struggling with high school provision,"

Barnsley schools have been massively underfunded for years. Some schools in other LAs receive twice as much funding as Penistone Grammar. However, the latest news is that they will receive an increase in funding now. They are also extending the school do cope with the increase in pupils in the area.

susan325 Sun 01-Oct-17 23:04:31

Cortonwood retail park in wombwell has just been redeveloped and is fantastic for shopping without going too far to meadowhall everytime you want to go shopping - sadly the town centre isn't in fantastic condition as it is still going through work, however, I am sure in time it will be fantastic.
In town, there is a new restaurant called one momento - lovely food!

bigbadshewolf Mon 02-Oct-17 01:20:29

Lots of lovely Pennine countryside near Barnsley. if you like family friendly walking and cycling this is an amazing facility which goes through Barnsley and links lots of nearby towns and villages including Penistone www.transpenninetrail.org.uk

vickibee Mon 02-Oct-17 06:50:24

We also live in penistone and love it here. The town centre is having a big facelift and they are hoping to have it finished in the next two years or so.

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Oct-17 18:01:56

Barnsley area also now has Fox Valley for shopping, although the other side of town to Monk Bretton.

Justalittlebitblondie Fri 06-Oct-17 22:55:26

Thank you so much for all your help and info! Sounds like there is lots to do - not yet having to worry about secondary school but so useful to know. Penistone sounds lovely - am going to check it all out this weekend - sure it will be lovely!

Sarah1087 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:31:51

Hi hunnie

I'm from Barnsley, not lived here long either but everyone is friendly smile hoyland common is a nice place to go round some lovely little pubs - hair and hound ha a lovely food, and manvers arms. If you want to ask anything about any places then PM me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now