Talk

Advanced search

Where to live in Bristol

(20 Posts)
Bristolnewbie Thu 28-Sep-17 09:14:38

Hi my husband and I have recently moved to Bristol and we are renting just off North Street in Southville. So far we are loving being near the harbour and the shops and pubs of north street but we are not sure what we can afford here- our budget is up to £450k. My husband doesn't drive and so it's great he can walk into work in the city centre but we are looking to explore other areas in Bristol- would love some advice on other areas that are close to parks, great pubs and cafes and the city centre is either 30 mins walk or a short bus ride. We used to live in Balham London before we moved out for work and would love somewhere with that feel and has access to good primary schools- asking for a lot I know! Any advice on areas so we can broaden our search would be great thanks!

2014newme Thu 28-Sep-17 09:38:35

You should be able to get something in southville for 450k.
But you nerd to move fast. When we lived there we bought a house before it was on the market and it sold straight away when we sold it. Prices in Bristol have gone up 270% according to the episode of location location a few weeks ago. That was about southville and other areas of Bristol may be worth a watch.

2014newme Thu 28-Sep-17 09:39:46

Nb south Bristol lacks a good secondary school unless you are Christians. People always say it will get better, but it never does. Lived there for 25 years

catslife Thu 28-Sep-17 09:56:19

Although the OP mentions schools, they don't say that they have dcs.
There are South Bristol catchment schools that have "Good" OFSTED ratings, if that's what the OP means.
You have to attend church regularly to apply for St Mary Redcliffe secondary (that may not be the same thing as being an active believer). You also have the same (low) chance of being offered a place at the lottery schools Cathedral (co-ed) or Colston Girls (girls) as other areas of Bristol.

Bristolnewbie Thu 28-Sep-17 11:12:21

Thanks for the quick replies- good to know about secondary schools- we were hoping for parking but is that a long shot anywhere in Bristol?!
Does anyone have any advice on other areas like totterdown, cotham, Redlands etc

2014newme Thu 28-Sep-17 11:14:36

For parking consider areas with more 1930s housing than victoriana
but they are unlikely to be walkable to work

catslife Thu 28-Sep-17 19:38:30

Totterdown has parks, pubs (even wine bars) and cafes. Good friendly family area. Tend to be 2-3 bedroom houses. Slightly further up the hill is Upper Knowle with victorian-style houses which are slightly larger.
The closer you are to the city centre, the less likely you are to find off street parking. In Redland and Cotham there are Residents Parking Zones where you pay for the privilige of being able to park your car. I think the scheme was going to be extended to Southville but not sure if it was implemented of not due to change in the mayor in 2015.
Sometimes there are end of terrace or larger houses (some semi-detached) that do have off street parking via converting the front garden. Former council houses tend to have off street parking too but your budget would far exceed that option.

FlourishingMrs Thu 28-Sep-17 21:37:53

I don't think 450k would get you anything in Redland or Cotham unless you want a flat.

How about Horfield or Ashley down?

Seaviewsunshine Fri 29-Sep-17 20:25:28

I lived in Southville for 15 years and moved to a village out of the city a year ago because we couldn't find a house with enough bedrooms, good sized garden and parking. You could look at Ashton Vale. Slightly furter out but still walkable to North St. Or I've heard Fishpounds is going to be the new BS3. You'd certainly get more for your money but wouldn't get the shinyness of BS3. I think like others have said Knowle is another area or Brislington but a bit further out. Or St George? Whatever you do have everything in place to buy. Mortgage offer etc. Hound the estare agents so you are one of the first in the door to view expect a bidding war and to pay 10-15% more than asking price in BS3.

Good luck!

AdultHumanFemale Fri 29-Sep-17 21:48:26

You might consider the little local train line which runs from Temple Meads out to Severn Beach, as some of the stops (Clifton Down / Redland / Montpelier) might be suitable for your DP getting to work in the centre. It could widen your house search a little to include surrounding areas such as Easton, Greenbank, Stoke Bishop or Sneyd Park. They may be a bit more residential / suburban than where you currently are in North Street, though. But that train rocks.

AdultHumanFemale Fri 29-Sep-17 21:56:08

North of the river is blessed with a few more fairly central secondary schools, and the area around Gloucester Rd (Montpelier, Redland, Cotham, St Andrews, Bishopston, Horfield) has broadly the same appeal as North St. Pricier though, and same issue with parking.

DirtyThirties Wed 04-Oct-17 07:22:10

Have you considered keynsham? It has the things you mention (a nice park, pubs and restaurants, good schools, and less than 10 minutes to temple meads on a train), plus you will get something decent with parking for 450k

BootCampSucker Wed 04-Oct-17 09:47:46

I can heartily recommend Fishponds! We moved here from Ashley Down/St Andrews last year and absolutely love it. There's a fantastic community vibe and always interesting stuff going on (cf Party in the Ponds, People's University of Fishponds, Fishfest). Oldbury Court and Snuff Mills are on the doorstep, and whilst it might be a slightly longer than 30 minute walk to the centre (although probably not much more), there are buses every couple of minutes as well as the fantastic Bristol to Bath cycle path which takes you into town off-road in about 15 minutes.

There are really useful amenities on Fishponds Road as well as some lovely independents eg a micro pub and community cafe. Housing stock is really varied, and we essentially managed to swop our 3-bed mid-terrace 1930s on a main road in BS7 for a 6-bed Victorian end terrace.

Lots of people send their children to Begbrook Primary which is lovely and you can walk through the woods to get there, and Fishponds C of E is also very popular. Bristol Metropolitan is the secondary and seems to be leaping from strength to strength - narrowly missed out on an outstanding at its recent ofsted, and came third in Bristol in the 2017 Real Schools Guide. There's also a free Steiner school, if that's your bag.

Have I sold you the Ponds yet? wink

Oysterbabe Wed 04-Oct-17 11:58:14

We're in Bishopston and our "cosy" 3 bed semi with off-street parking is worth about £350,000. Loads of great shops and restaurants on Gloucester Road and just a short hop into the centre.

LesleyA Tue 12-Dec-17 10:54:09

Hi please can I have some recommendations on where to live within commuterable distance to Bristol. Ideally with a villagy feel in countryside but not too small (dont want bored kids). I have a daughter doing into secondary and another into junior primary (state schools) - need really good schools as daughter struggles. Does one generally go Bath side or more north Glouchester side. Budget for house 380 000. Is Rodsborough expensive? too small? too far from public transport etc.

MrsMoastyToasty Tue 12-Dec-17 18:27:54

Which part of Bristol will you be commuting to?

catslife Wed 13-Dec-17 09:17:48

Where is Rodsborough? Just put the name in a search engine and nothing comes up!

MrsMoastyToasty Wed 13-Dec-17 16:27:41

Rodborough is near Stroud. I have no experience of those areas but have you considered Keynsham, Nailsea or Yate? All have train stations.

Rudi44 Fri 15-Dec-17 07:15:14

LesleyA if I were you, considering Bristol I would definitely go Keynsham and be looking at Hayesfield girls school in Bath. Keynsham is between Bristol and Bath, good transport links, lots to do, shops, sports centre etc and within catchment for Hayesfield.

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 15-Dec-17 07:51:38

Keynsham is good. It's about 10 minutes by train to temple meads and 20 by bus. 2 state secondary schools and several primary schools. A massive park and a good high street.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now