Talk

Advanced search

Penistone grammar for sen

(11 Posts)
Mandym1 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:23:32

Would never send my child to this school. Mr Crook headteacher is a disgrace I spoke to him and the impression I got was he didn't care. My husband and I raised the issue of a member of staff and who she associates with re her partner he asked me how to deal with situation he is her boss he needs to look into how she and her partner conduct themselves out of work can effect the reputation of the school. He even told me about an incident with another member of staff and he wasn't sure how to deal with it. How unprofessional of him and it's obviously something that is a regular occurance at the school bad behaviour of staff.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 25-Sep-17 22:58:46

They are really strict about uniform and have put kids in isolation for not conforming.

They have to keep their blazers on when not in the classroom unless it is very hot, then they are told that they are allowed to put them in their lockers.

vickibee Mon 25-Sep-17 21:12:29

We can walk in next to no time . Are your children at he school. I guess it probably caters well for the. Vast majority of kids and their results are pretty good. He will even struggle with the uniform, he is hyper sensitive to tight clothing, don't know how he is going to cope with a collar tie and blazer.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:40

The open day is in a couple of weeks so go along and have a look. It gets very busy and sometimes brings Penistone to a standstill.

vickibee Mon 25-Sep-17 20:43:53

Yes year 6, I wish he could stay at primary for another year , he is very immature and struggles a lot socially. My hope is that he finds a real friend at 2ndry on he can connect with and have stuff in common. I am considering requesting an ehcp review but I think I will be turned down as school insist his needs are it severe enough. He masks really well at school and they couldn't believe it when he was diagnosed

GeorgeTheHamster Mon 25-Sep-17 12:48:28

Is he year six then? Don't worry too much about "all my friends", they very often change social groups when they start secondary. Choose the school you think will be best for him, regardless of friendship groups.

vickibee Mon 25-Sep-17 12:27:43

My son has few friends and is often 'bullied' (social Exclusion). We have discussed other schools but he says he wants to go to PGS as 'all his friends are going there

LoniceraJaponica Mon 25-Sep-17 08:19:23

I guess that Horizon would be your next bet. I think Darton might be more difficult to get to. I don't even know if Penistone has a SENCO. The funding crisis has hit the school very hard and I think the SENCO was one of the casualties.

Mr Crook is going to be the new head teacher - he is currently vice principal, and IMO, the right person for the job. I find him quite approachable, so do try and find him when you visit.

Mrs Brookes-Ashton deals with admissions and is massively helpful, so go and talk to her as well. She used to be head of pastoral care in year 7 and has dealt with bullies very effectively.

This is a copy of their SEND policy.

vickibee Mon 25-Sep-17 08:01:09

Thanks for replying, there is an open day coming up so I am going for a look around. Hopefully I can meet senco and try and get some answers. We live 5 mins walk from this school other schools would be difficult logistically

LoniceraJaponica Sun 24-Sep-17 07:40:19

Not great. My friend ended up pulling her daughter out because she didn't get enough support. The school is one of the most underfunded in the country and I'm not even sure if they have a SENCO.

However, they now have a new head teacher and he used to be the safeguarding lead, so things may change. I think you need to contact the school and see what they say.

vickibee Fri 22-Sep-17 19:21:47

My son has hf asd and suffers from anxiety, how good is pgs at catering for kids with Sen. Has IEP boy no ehcp.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »