Talk

Advanced search

moving to Canford Heath

(8 Posts)
Bithbeth Thu 21-Sep-17 17:36:18

Hi, my husband, I and 9 yr old son are planing to move to Canford Heath from Surrey. Can anyone tell me about the area? We are hopping our son will go to Broadstone Middle School.

What are the buses like?
What is the broadband like? I was thinking about Sky
Things to do in the area, that don't cost a lot? We can get to by bus, Hubby will take car to work.
Horse ridding for my son?

Thanks

G1raffe Thu 21-Sep-17 18:06:19

Hello! It's a fab area with good access to Purbecks/beach/country parks etc.

Have you looked at the schools? Broadstone Middle is a bit less popular since previous ofsted (but will have spaces! )

You need to think a little about which school pyramid you want to join. Broadstone Middle finishes at 13 so usually leads onto Corfe Hills.

Canford Heath Junior finishes at 11 as is in the Poole system and will lead onto the Grammar Schools, St Edwards, Poole high and Magna (a bit marmite, super strict school but seems Corfe Hills isnfollowing suit.)

Buses every 10 minutes to Poole and regular to Tower Park so good for teens. Not as useful if you want to go anywhere else (have to change in Poole) but possible.

Broadband we have virgin which is pretty good and worked out cheapest for a basic package for us but I suspect Sky is the same!

Things to do - do you mean by bus afterschool? (And how do you plan to get to Broadstone Middle?) Will you have a car at weekends or do you mean then. Can think of lots of things so can post later!

Bithbeth Fri 22-Sep-17 17:26:20

Hi G1affe,

Thanks for you help.

We have looked at the schools in the area and visited 3. We like Broadstone Middle school. Our son is not so good with change. So not having to change school again untill 13 is a good thing.

My Husband will take our son to school in the morning on his way to work. We plan for me to pick him up. At the moment he bikes or walks to and from school about 15 mins each way, come rain or shine. So think it will be do able.

At the moment our son does not do mush after school, we often stop in the park on the way home.

At the weakends, he horse rides on Saturday and we go to church on Sunday.

I was thinking in the holidays, getting there by bus.

G1raffe Fri 22-Sep-17 18:14:26

Ah fab if you've visited, it's just all the local highschools will start at 11, but presumably not impossible to move to at 13 if you choose them!

Certainly if you have a car at weekends there is tons to do - do you know the area well? Lots and lots of outdoorsy activities, Avon heath, Moors valley, Upton country park, all the beaches! New forest purbecks. Also a skate park, parkour, tons of activities.

Buses aren't impossible but will just take longer as will need to change in Poole. You can easily walk/scoot/bike to the library and the sports centre though and tower park has cinema/waterslides/food places.

Have you found a church/know church people down here? I can chat by pm if you want to know a bit more about them if not

When do you move? Hope it goes well and you soon settle in Canford Heath. Dorset is lovely smile

G1raffe Fri 22-Sep-17 18:20:21

And of course if you're in CH there is the heath itself! Lots of walking and it's quite lovely.

Bithbeth Fri 22-Sep-17 19:37:45

No, not know any people in the area. Have friend of friend who lives in corfe mullen/broadstone. Hubby has been working in Wimborne for more than a year, so he knows some poeple for there.

I know there are some good churches in the area but have only visited one.

We are hoping to move in the next few weeks, but are still waiting for dates.

G1raffe Fri 22-Sep-17 19:42:51

Wimborne is really lovely!

Good luck with the next few weeks smile

Bithbeth Fri 22-Sep-17 19:49:57

Thanks G1raffe

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: