Talk

Advanced search

A new home

(7 Posts)
DontMumble Fri 15-Sep-17 13:50:05

Hi

We're going to look for a new home in East Riding of Yorkshire. We'd like to be on or near the coast. As we don't know the area can anyone recommend places and warn us where not to look?

Thanks

Mel

iseenodust Wed 27-Sep-17 12:32:40

Are you going to be looking for employment too?
A lot of the coast is crumbling so I wouldn't choose anywhere with a seaview !

The market towns of Driffield & Beverley are nice, lots of facilities and there are a lot of lovely villages surrounding them if you prefer a peaceful outlook. Both are around 20 minutes to Fraisthorpe which is my favourite beach.

Hornsea is an acquired taste with everyone knowing everyone else. Withernsea is very impoverished with poor transport links.

If you don't mind going a bit further north Filey might be worth a scout round.

dramallamakarma Wed 27-Sep-17 12:46:50

There's lots of lovely villages especially around the Driffield / Beverley area. Hutton Cranswick, Nafferton etc & not far from the coast.

Depends what you are looking for... do you need a good primary school for example? What size house / budget?

DontMumble Wed 27-Sep-17 16:25:10

Thanks guys for your replies.

We went up last weekend to scout around visiting Hornsea (which wasn't for us we think - traffic problems and dog mess prevalence), Driffield (which was nice, but not as close to the coast as we'd like) and Bridlington (lovely seafront but a bit run down on the centre's periphery, although some nice estates on the outskirts).

We've just been reading about Fracking in the area though and it has put the frighteners on us a bit.

FYI, schools and employment are not issues now and we are looking for a new-ish 3 bedroom house, budget up to 200k.

Thanks again

Mel

dramallamakarma Wed 27-Sep-17 17:37:19

If it's coast you want maybe Sewerby? I used to live in Bridlington & unfortunately the town itself is run down as you say.

Steer clear of Withernsea as the PP mentioned especially if Hornsea wasn't your cup of tea.

Is it definitely East Yorkshire you prefer? North Yorkshire has more to offer in pretty coastal towns IMO.

As for fracking... that a whole other post. No applications have been submitted in the area at present.

DontMumble Wed 27-Sep-17 18:58:20

Thanks for your reply.
Where in North Yorkshire are you thinking?
Been reading about arrests at Kirby Misperton and I can understand the anger. Fracking could be the answer to our energy needs for decades but I don't think it is worth the risk when you consider the nightmare that could be created.

iseenodust Thu 28-Sep-17 09:46:45

I come back to look at Filey. I think your budget will be an issue in N Yorks though.

If decide East Yorks then this is well within budget in a good village. www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61829335.html A 10min drive to coast, Beverley & Driffield. No need to venture into Hornsea....nobody does.

One thing to note if you are coming from a busy area is our roads are quiet. So short journeys take no time. Choose somewhere nice to live and pop to the coast.

I'm much more laid back about local fracking now. There was an exploratory well near where I live but it's all gone now as the company decided not a good site. ( Viability not political decision so unlikely to return.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: