Advanced search

No DSS! Private Housing Issues

(7 Posts)
kaynor88 Thu 14-Sep-17 14:16:51

Recently we have been given a section 21 notice to evict us from our property. We made complaints in writing to our landlord after having no heating for 12 months, asking him to sort the boiler out or we would take it to the council. Instead of agreeing to fix the issue he has decide to evict us under a section 21. I have got funds to move but because we are on DSS we cannot find a landlord anywhere that will take us. We are a family of four. My daughter has special needs and need round the clock care and i have health issues since my son was born which means Im in and out of hospital so my partner cares for us which means he has to be out of work. He does receive carers allowance and we also receive DLA. Anyone have any idea how i can find landlords that will give us a chance, we have never missed rent and have got previous refs. Its so frustrating to be told sorry no DSS. Why will they not give us the chance to have a house just like everyone else, we have never been evicted before and always pay our rent, we shouldn't be discriminated against our personal circumstances! Now my family have only one option to go and apply to the council for homeless. Its not fair. anyone have any suggestions how `we can avoid the council homeless accommodation with our daughter who has special needs and our baby son? Its a cruel world we live in.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 14-Sep-17 22:10:22

Where in Staffordshire are you?

My reason for asking is that the Council's temporary accommodation may not be as bad as you envisage. For example - in Lichfield they use self contained flats for families. No B&Bs.

There used to be a small company locally that specialised in renting to HB recipients. I'll see if I can find the name & get back to you.

kaynor88 Fri 15-Sep-17 10:33:17

ok thank you so much. unfortunutly in stoke on trent the homeless situation is very bad and from the information that has been given to us the council are offering a homeless shelter for me and the children and the ymca for my husband. very scary the thought of our family being separated because of my health and my daughters special needs. plus it can be anywhere in staffordshire and we need to stay close to our daughters school with her not being able to move schools.

kaynor88 Fri 15-Sep-17 10:45:29

and were in newcastle under lyme

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 15-Sep-17 14:58:29

Have you asked the Council if they have a list of landlords who will accept HB? Although, to be honest, if they had one they should have given it to you straightaway!

What a stressful situation for you sad. I assume you've posted on any local FB groups? Sometimes they can be very helpful, or you may happen to chance on a landlord reading the post who is willing to help flowers.

The person I was thinking of who rented properties to HB tenants was Lichfield area only, unfortunately.

Another thought, do you have anyone who could act as a Guarantor for you? Sometimes that can make all the difference to how a landlord views an application.

kaynor88 Fri 15-Sep-17 16:56:20

Thank you for your reply. i will ring the council on monday and ask them if they have a list of landlords. and unfortunatly we havent got anyone who quifies as a guarntor x

Aspichick Tue 21-Nov-17 23:19:20

Did you find anywhere? X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »