Talk

Advanced search

Bonkers Cambridge house prices

(42 Posts)
Stillnoidea Fri 01-Sep-17 19:26:21

Ok, I did know that prices on North West Cambridge would be stupid, and I was a fool to sign up to the marketing list. But seriously, guess starting prices for a 3 or 4 bed house...

Winner gets a play mobile house as the only thing anyone can afford.

Tid1 Fri 01-Sep-17 19:52:46

Hmm haven't looked but ballpark (based on trumpington meadows ridiculous prices), 550-600k

Stillnoidea Fri 01-Sep-17 19:53:32

<sits down to wait 3 days for anyone to read the local pages>

Stillnoidea Fri 01-Sep-17 19:54:56

Ooo - cross post with a guess!

For a 3 bed or 4 bed? Either way, too low.

NameChange30 Fri 01-Sep-17 19:56:38

Well. We paid a lot for our house a few years ago. It is insane.

I would guess at £600k for a 3-bed and £700k for a 4-bed??

Chasingsquirrels Fri 01-Sep-17 19:58:54

3 bed - £750k
4 bed - £1m

I was looking at the website yesterday as I drive past everyday and wondered what they would be selling for.

Stillnoidea Fri 01-Sep-17 20:15:32

name - not even close.

squirrels almost wins but loses marks for cheating.

£1.3M for a 4 bed!!!!

£760k for a 3 bed!!!

From the marketing email....
We will be releasing a selection of studios, one, two and three bedroom apartments and three and four bedroom houses.
Studio apartments from £299,950
1 bedroom apartments £389,950
2 bedroom apartments £539,950
3 bedroom houses from £760,000
4 bedroom houses from £1,295,000

NameChange30 Fri 01-Sep-17 20:16:34

What. The. Fuck?!!

Chasingsquirrels Fri 01-Sep-17 20:17:28

Noo I didn't cheat!!
There were no prices on the website when I looked - I've been waiting for your reply

Chasingsquirrels Fri 01-Sep-17 20:19:07

It's round the corner from my work in Girton.
Guess I'll be staying where I am!

NameChange30 Fri 01-Sep-17 20:20:58

V good guess chasing!

Stillnoidea Fri 01-Sep-17 20:20:59

In that case, not bad squirrels on the 3 bed but still 25% out on the 4 bed.

name I know! My response exactly!

Stillnoidea Fri 01-Sep-17 20:23:11

I was going to nosy round the show house when they open, but frankly it will be just too depressing.

Logans Fri 01-Sep-17 20:24:04

Prices for new developments are always high though.

Where I am (not Cambridge) 4 bed on nice development £800 - £1.2, whereas an older (1940's - 1970's) cheaply built 4 bed house £680+.

Stillnoidea Fri 01-Sep-17 20:30:39

It's still bonkers.

NameChange30 Fri 01-Sep-17 20:46:03

I don't get it. Much prefer my 1930 semi to new builds.

Chasingsquirrels Fri 01-Sep-17 23:10:41

It is insane.

CityCentre Sat 02-Sep-17 19:04:06

And believe it or not, prices on some things are actually down compared to 6 months ago. I got a small share of a new build flat then as it was the only thing in my price range. Now there are quite a few small flats - admittedly needing some updating or on the outskirts or villages - for similar prices as my small share on a new build estate. It wasn't a great time of year to be looking, but I'd been looking for a couple of years before, too, and there wasn't ever anything in that price; it was all 30-40K more than they are now. That might be specific to small flats, of course!

Biscuitsneeded Sat 02-Sep-17 22:00:18

It's nuts. If Trumpington is anything to go by, the houses will have all mod cons and look very 'now' but they'll be rammed in cheek by jowl and the whole development will house a school if they're lucky but no other amenities and precious few transport options to get to the centre of town. And in 15 years' time when the design is no longer trendy it will feel like any other soulless 'executive' estate. I agree, give me my 30's semi within a short walk or cycle of pubs, shops, library, GP, green spaces any day.

CityCentre Sat 02-Sep-17 22:17:24

But a lot of people don't have the option for that sort of thing. I'd much prefer it too. But the only place you can get shared ownership and things like that to make it affordable seem to be in the new developments. And they are more expensive and executive style than I'd really need, but it's the only thing available, pretty much (at least when I was looking).

If I had the money to buy the 3 and 4 bedroom full price ones, then I agree - would rather get something in closer to town for sure than on the big estates out there. I know from friends looking ,though, that there isn't always that much available in town - they looked for ages for a 4 bed, and often got outbid or lost the property for some reason. People who bought anything 15 years ago or even less, are quite lucky. It was possible to get something that was in cycling distance of a lot of those things.

Stillnoidea Tue 05-Sep-17 20:36:01

Agree biscuits If you look at the plans they are all townhouses, so cheek by jowl, and have mews type houses behind with the gardens seeming to interlock. It's hard to tell which garden belongs to which house on the plans.

Stillnoidea Tue 05-Sep-17 20:37:34

But on amenities, there is a sainsburys at least. Not clear what else yet.

Stillnoidea Tue 05-Sep-17 20:39:24

Agree also citycentre - prices do seem to have stalled more widely in Cambridge, at least where I've been looking (although that is mainly close villages)

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Fri 08-Sep-17 23:38:01

Those prices are bonkers.

21 years ago we bought a 3 bedroomed bay window house off Mill Road which had been done up, and we paid £95k which I thought was outrageous back then. God knows what it's worth now.

We moved to a village when our dc were small as we needed more space and just couldn't afford it in Cambridge. I sometimes toy with the idea of moving back in to the centre (although dh would never agree) but that would mean exchanging our spacious detached home for a shoebox.

NeelieNu Sun 10-Sep-17 21:50:32

It's just too close to the M11 and there are no barriers to the pollution. At some stage buyers of all these 'high value' properties in high volume traffic areas are going to realise they are paying lots to have their lungs and their kids lungs filled with the crap from every car that passes and to hear traffic from one end of the day to the next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now