Talk

Advanced search

Cholesbury here we come!

(6 Posts)
BBradberry Tue 15-Aug-17 12:10:22

Hi mum's
We are relocating to beautiful Cholesbury after 14 years in the US (Pheweee!). We have a 4 year old and 2 year old. Any mums know the schools in the area? Looks like our closest school is Hawridge & Cholesbury but not sure if we'll get in. I have a quick question, I'm not sure how it works in the UK but if we don't get in our 1st choice school can we go on a wait list rather than accept a second or third choice? Also, are their 'feeder' nurseries in the UK or is that just an American thing? I'm wondering the best place to put our 2 year old so he might get in to Hawridge and Cholesbury. So much to do!
Thanks for any insight or any comment around the local area and schools - we are so excited to come home!

FunnyBird Tue 15-Aug-17 18:27:14

I'm not very clued up on this, but there aren't feeder nurseries.
The education authority have a duty to educate ie offer a place. If you turn it down, they no longer have that duty so tout can't go on a waiting list for the 'right' school.
Good luck with the move.

Maladicta Wed 16-Aug-17 13:59:26

Looking at the most recent Reception allocation profile, the furthest distance offered by the school this year was 2.45 miles so if you move into the village you could generally expect to get a place, wherever you send him to nursery.

The school's website has a detailed description of its admission policy so that would be worth looking at it - as it's a Church of England school there's an additional form to fill out.

Good luck with the move! It's a lovely village

notquiteruralbliss Fri 25-Aug-17 20:52:53

Harwidge and Cholesbury isn't massively child friendly. DCs went there when we first moved to the area and they were really unhappy. Fortunately we found an amazing school not too far away.

BBradberry Fri 25-Aug-17 21:12:02

Thanks! @notquiteruralbliss what school did you find that you love?

notquiteruralbliss Fri 29-Sep-17 22:08:12

We moved DCs to Gateway prep in Great Missenden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now