Talk

Advanced search

Teddington - what about air pollution and plane noise ?

(12 Posts)
Lottothink Tue 15-Aug-17 09:28:57

Hi

We haven't heard planes in Teddington whenever we visit. When we mention it to people that we are considering to move there who knows our concerns about plane noise in Kew and Richmond started to tell us that Teddington is not much different. I also heard from someone that the air pollution in winter is so bad due to proximity to Heathrow that some schools had a warning of not taking children out to school gardens for play. Is this true?

Thanks

inchyrablue Tue 15-Aug-17 13:01:38

I've never heard of children not being allowed out due to pollution, but Teddington is on the easterly take off route, which means planes fly fairly low overhead on take off around one day a week, or when the air is particularly still. In winter, it can be weeks on end I think with no flights going over. It is irritating, and intrusive when it happens on days when you have all the windows open, and more so when they have late take off/early starts.

If you have a look at the Heathrow noise twitter feed here you'll get an idea of regularity.

It is nothing like being on the landing route that Richmond/Kew has, which is horrific.

Melfish Tue 15-Aug-17 20:56:04

When they were doing the test runs on different approach routes a year or so ago it was awful. Bear in mind about the desire for a third runway and the plane noise can only get worse- these routes were in preparation for the runway apparently. I have lived here all my life and the noise has become more pronounced, although obviously you expect some noise being reasonably close to the airport. As a previous poster said Teddington gets most aircraft noise when the weather is calm, so usually when you might have your windows open. They do seem to fly over rather late- I'm not sure what the latest times are. We are also under a helicopter flight path and get chinooks most days.

Mary21 Tue 15-Aug-17 21:31:40

www.facebook.com/TeddingtonActionGroup/
This may give you an idea

Lottothink Wed 16-Aug-17 09:13:56

it seems that the noise levels raised in 2014-2015 when they did the trial but TAG's website says it was cut short and back to normal. I understand that Teddington gets noise once a week or two but not every day and certainly not every 3 min like Kew - this is good - phew! after dismissing Kew Richmond area to live.

We are moving from SE Dulwich area . 8 years ago when we first moved we did not have any plane noise then it got worse gradually . the last 3 years we keep hearing it but they are still flying high - not landing as yet - therefore the noise level is not as bad as Kew area either. We visited Teddington a few times during the weekend and we did not hear one airplane. this is good ..

as local , would you say it is annoying to get some plane noise but it is bearable ? The third runway plans and extension would be about 20 years away isn't it ?

Ketzele Thu 17-Aug-17 11:26:27

I live in Teddington (also moved here from your neck of the woods!) and I find the plane noise very bearable. As others have said, there are times when it is worse, but it is absolutely nowhere near as bad as in Kew and other parts of the borough. More annoying are the helicopters that go, I think, from Heathrow to Gatwick - but then they go right over my garden, and much lower than planes, so wouldn't be a problem in other parts of Teddington.

I'm sure the plane noise will get worse with the fifth runway, but for me this is still outweighed by the many advantages of living here.

Lottothink Thu 17-Aug-17 12:08:30

Thank you Ketzele - do you miss anything from where you used to live?

and where should we look for houses to avoid a bit more the noise?

Ketzele Thu 17-Aug-17 12:27:27

The only thing I miss is the shorter commute. I sbsolutely love living here.

No advice on sound-resistant houses, Im afraid. I live on one of Teddingtons noisier roads and it just doesnt bother me.

Lottothink Thu 17-Aug-17 13:25:33

no worries, thank you..I think the commute will hit us badly too but hoping that all other advantages, near river, parks, woods near a big area of lovely places neighbourhood of London, nice clean lovely high street etc will make us justify it and not complaint too much ;)

Lottothink Thu 17-Aug-17 13:27:28

and I also hope we won't miss the community but from what I hear Teddington has a lovely community with young families and friendly residents . correct me if this is wrong pls

Noisyplane Thu 24-Aug-17 13:00:14

We are Strawberry hill not Teddington but the plane noise has been unbearable the last few days. Especially between 10 pm and 11.30 pm. Can't hear the TV without turning it up loud. Can have windows open and planes are only seconds apart. So yes plane noise is a problem. Especially in the summer when you want your windows open. Routes change so just because you have visited and not witnessed a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
The new planes are supposed to be quieter but they fly them lower so it actually makes no odds.

TakesOne Thu 24-Aug-17 13:52:01

this week it has been very frequent and load in SE as well. unusually ...

teddington seem to get some traffic but no near richmon kew to putney area. you cannot escape it if you are in London . SW is worse but at least Teddington seems the best of worse ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now