Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on Melton Constable?

(10 Posts)
suffolkmama Sun 13-Aug-17 11:29:05

Hi. Having found myself a single parent to 3, I'm considering my options after selling our current house. What is Melton Constable like as a village to live in? Is it friendly, active, etc? It's hard to judge when just pottering round the streets! Is the local school all good? Thanks so much for any input.

lljkk Sun 13-Aug-17 20:42:38

UKIP stronghold.
Back end of nowhere.
(tbf, there's a lot of BeoN in Norfolk)
Sorry to sound negative. Friend's husband commutes an hour to get there for work but they choose not to live there.

JeremyCorbynsBeard Sun 13-Aug-17 20:48:29

I think it's a place that used to be good to live in (when there was a train line), but these days is a bit out of the way. It is more scenic than many parts of Norfolk, in that it isn't flat. Can't help with schools etc. Are there any other areas of Norfolk you're interested in (that I might know more about grin)?

suffolkmama Sun 13-Aug-17 21:00:44

Thanks for the input!

suffolkmama Sun 13-Aug-17 21:15:10

Any better recommendations for villages that are considered 'decent' despite a modest budget? I'm not restricted to any particular area. Thanks ladies!

JeremyCorbynsBeard Sun 13-Aug-17 21:20:50

I've heard that Cawston is nice, but don't know that from my own experience. Might be worth checking out.

lljkk Mon 14-Aug-17 04:44:02

I feel like what you're asking is too big, OP.
What does 'active' mean, really?
When is it friendly & when is it suffocating?
Villages with schools & off the main road tend to have more heart & soul to them.

TeddyIsaHe Mon 14-Aug-17 10:48:50

Cawston is lovely, I grew up there! Reepham is even better, really friendly and a lovely feel. I personally would avoid Briston/Melton like the plague. Foulsham is ok (despite the name!) Bintree very nice. Avoid Bawdeswell. Heydon is amazing but v expensive and tiny. Wood Dalling is lovely. Slightly further out Sustead/Gresham are really lovely villages in a gorgeous location.

lljkk Mon 14-Aug-17 11:23:50

There isn't much employment in the villages. Expect your kids to commute & move away when they need jobs.

Reepham High School is very well regarded.

HelenaWaxle Thu 21-Sep-17 20:50:32

I live in Fulmodeston. Lovely quite village. Nothing around. Need a car for shops etc.
Little Snoring is lovely. Good primary school. And catchment area for Fakenham high school and 6th form. Pricey area as a few celebs live in the area. But if you like quite, near coast location for not coast money then it would fit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: