Talk

Advanced search

So who is from the Morecambe Bay Area?

(57 Posts)
GinFirstQuestionsLater Wed 19-Jul-17 14:31:28

So how many other mumsnetters are from the Morecambe Bay Area?
Lancaster, Morecambe, Heysham, Galgate, Carnforth, Overton, Middleton and I'll throw in Hest Bank and Bolton Le Sands for free along with anywhere I've missed.

Do you know your Diggles from your Whaletail?
Your Lewis's from your Macaris?
Can you walk past Gillisons and Gorills?
Do you prefer Williamson or Happy Mount?

There must be some of us around. I'm pretty sure I can spot Mumsnetters from a mile off and I try to spot you when I'm out and about. Not. Stalkery. At. All.

So do you live around here?

fourcorneredcircle Wed 19-Jul-17 18:48:18

Well now, I'm a Whaletail kinda gal... not because I don't eat meat... just because I can't bloody reach those stools in Diggles!

I'll take Wallings over Lewis's or Macaris though ;)

And, being as I have an LA4 postcode it'll have to be Happy Mount for the win.

Come on everyone, where are you all hiding?

TheCumbrian Wed 19-Jul-17 21:35:45

I live over the border but know the area very well. I see things have got a little floody again over there tonight?

GinFirstQuestionsLater Wed 19-Jul-17 22:27:01

Omg. Real, actual replies grin. I thought local was as dead as the West End in February.

Wallings, of course. I was there yesterday for one of their utterly insane cones. Purely for the benefit of the kids, obvs.

Cumbrian, I'm well acquainted with your bit of the Bay too. Eldest goes to high school over the border.

GinFirstQuestionsLater Wed 19-Jul-17 22:29:13

Yes, very floody. 😔

Same businesses as last time, which is crap for them. It even lifted bits of the road up on slyne road, moor lane and by prospect street.

fourcorneredcircle Wed 19-Jul-17 23:55:10

At least the water receded quickly this time from those businesses. It's still utterly shit and heartbreaking for them but things might be able to get going on clean up quicker this time.

OhHolyFuck Thu 20-Jul-17 00:00:54

Hello!
<waves with my snorkel and flippers on>

DaleTremont Thu 20-Jul-17 00:15:16

LA1 born and bred although live on the wrong side of the Pennines these days. I pretty much grew up in Williamson's Park and went to school with some Macaris.

Am back at the weekend for a night out although nothing's the same since Brooks International closed.

Can't believe it's flooded again though sad

GinFirstQuestionsLater Thu 20-Jul-17 08:58:41

Well, when we do rain here, we do rain properly. 😊<Sniff>

Ahh Brooks International Discotheque. It was a soft play for the last few years (closed now) and all very weird and wrong when you walked in as the entrance and the Loos were exactly the same. You just didn't dance around your hand bag he brought fruit shoots instead.

There's only the sugar house left for a night club now - apart from hustle, which is rank - but head out to The Study Rooms and Mint for cocktails instead.

This time it wasn't the river, just surface water, so fingers crossed they can get cleaned up and running again quicker.

Lancasterlass Thu 20-Jul-17 18:08:03

Not born and bred but in for the long haul I think, two DCs, DC1 loves the splashpad but I think DC2 prefers butterflies and meerkats.

We're thinking of taking DC1 to see Treasure Island (DC2 a bit young).

Agree Wallings is insane - an acquaintance complained her DC was listed as overweight by the school nurse then posted photos of said school age DC eating a double scoop Wallings and the preschooler having a huge single! Erm...

OhHolyFuck Thu 20-Jul-17 18:11:39

Is there enough of us for an ice cream based a meetup?

Lancasterlass Thu 20-Jul-17 18:12:40

Yes as long as I can clutch my pearls over portion sizes.

RandomMess Thu 20-Jul-17 21:52:49

Is it wrong that I both want to meet up AND keep my anonymity and therefore can't meet up?

Ended up getting back from Morecambe via the Trough last night, fun times...

fourcorneredcircle Thu 20-Jul-17 21:59:45

Well, if we can find enough people for a meet up we can preserve our annonimity. I fear if there's just the seven of us little detective work will need to be done to work out who's who!

lancasterlass Thu 20-Jul-17 22:04:03

We can wear paper bags.

GinFirstQuestionsLater Thu 20-Jul-17 22:26:58

Well, I suppose if we had an anonymous meet up at wallings, we could agree to go at the same time and then look judgementally at anyone who orders a scoop of blackcurrant and liquorice to work out who is who?

GinFirstQuestionsLater Thu 20-Jul-17 22:29:28

None of you like the blackcurrant and liquorice do you?

I always see it on the menu and wonder who on Earth would, as it sounds so wrong.

Other option would be the folk that want to meet can go inside and we can audio call people anonymously eating cones in the yard. grin

lancasterlass Thu 20-Jul-17 22:34:08

I'm afraid I like blackcurrant and licorice.
In fact I think I may have to take DC1 there this week on the day DC2 is in nursery but DC1 isn't in holiday club.
(One child at Wallings is enough, thanks).

lancasterlass Thu 20-Jul-17 22:36:19

PS is it just me that is convinced it says Gorilla on the front of that shop...

Also, as a relative incomer (years in LA1 now in their teens), why is it everyone always says "oh that shop is where X used to be".

GinFirstQuestionsLater Fri 21-Jul-17 13:52:09

Gorilla grin. Yes you're not the only one.

Have you ever been on the Lancaster Past and Present group? There's often whole threads devoted to where things used to be!

fourcorneredcircle Fri 21-Jul-17 13:54:10

I like black currant and licorice too...

GinFirstQuestionsLater Fri 21-Jul-17 16:58:53

I'm the odd one out then? Weeeell, it wouldn't be the first time grin.

Bet you're going to tell me that you both dislike the Turkish delight flavour.

Sigh. Always on the outside, even before not meeting people. Heh.

OhHolyFuck Fri 21-Jul-17 18:55:24

Really dislike Turkish delight in all forms....😆

lancasterlass Fri 21-Jul-17 21:00:38

Love Turkish Delight!
Also quite like Lancaster P&P. But it's a bit irritating at times. Lots of homeless shaming/casual racism.

RandomMess Fri 21-Jul-17 21:05:52

It's definitely Gorilla, don't listen to those who tell you otherwise.

Wallings is tempting, sadly the last time we went I felt the portions had got even bigger and I felt it was just a gluttoness waste... not DH nor any of the teens came close to finishing a 2 flavour sundae for lunc, must stick to just a cone outside from now on! Usually we potter around to the leisure park (least apt name perhaps???) for a Wallings fix grin

Has everyone dried out now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now