Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for fun random days out for the Summer holidays?!

(10 Posts)
NeverTwerkNaked Mon 17-Jul-17 22:12:43

Don't mind travelling a bit, just want a few ideas for a different day out with a 6 year old and a 3 year old. Ideally not to expensive as we have a few expensive trips etc planned already!
We're near Southampton but don't mind travelling for something a bit different

Thank you smile

UterusUterusGhali Tue 18-Jul-17 08:41:45

Morning!

There's always the Pompey museums. Action Stations etc. I think if you buy a years ticket you can get into all the things.

Fort Nelson is free, and while it's "only" big ole guns, the kids love running through the tunnels etc.

I'd like some ideas too as my holiday plans have fallen through. sad

UterusUterusGhali Tue 18-Jul-17 08:44:33

Here

There's a small sea-life centre in Southsea.

Manor Farm in Bursledon is nice, with a walk down to the estuary.

Ta1kinPeace Tue 18-Jul-17 21:16:09

Hillier arboretum - loads and loads to explore and wander around

another vote for Manor Farm

get an annual pass for Paultons - it feels a lot when you buy it but when my kids were same age as yours we used ours over 40 times in a year - at which point its cheap !

Lepe beach / calshot spit - look for sea shells and odd pebbles

Portchester Castle - the outer parts are free

The New Forest - Rhinefield and Boldrewood trees and the arboretum
Go out the back of the arboretum, turn left, follow the rebuilt stream

Rownhams plantation / Baddesley common : lesser known woodlands with streams

Farley Mount / the monument : wonderful views and walks
Danebury / Stockbridge Down : Ditto

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Wed 19-Jul-17 07:37:34

I go to Wellington Park near Basingstoke - it's good for younger children not sure older children would enjoy it as much although there are some climbing frames and a zip wire in one of the playgrounds.

Also yesterday I went to Millets Farm Centre. It's just south of Oxford - only an hour from north Hampshire, probably less if you went straight up the A34
It has an amazing falconry centre which even my 2yo sat through the display, some animals, nice cafe/restaurant, very small playground.
Might be worth a trip, if it's a wasted trip at least there's a nice farm shop and ice cream stall!

Therealslimshady1 Wed 19-Jul-17 12:15:22

Moors Valley country park is great

Good "adventure walk" (age3-11) and a great playground for big kids (8-13)

Ta1kinPeece Wed 19-Jul-17 20:56:17

Moors valley is expensive parking but otherwise fab

keep an eye out for Sparsholt open days
and the wood fairs in Test Valley

and have yo taken them up to Milestones - mine loved it when they were small

Therealslimshady1 Thu 20-Jul-17 07:52:00

The parking is cheaper, per person, if you car share with a friend and their kids grin

tarheelbaby Mon 31-Jul-17 19:12:25

On a good weather day, you might like Furzey Gardens or Hillier Gardens.
If you are Nat'l Trust there's Mottisfont and other sites in the area. Also, a day out in a different town/village can be fun. So you might like to explore Romsey or Winchester.

Marwell Zoo is also an idea but more expensive.

If you like swimming, you might like the indoor water park at Romsey Rapids but be warned, children are shattered by this so plan carefully in relation to naps and plan lots of snacks/picnic for before and after.

TeenAndTween Fri 04-Aug-17 16:21:39

Reporting back from first full week of the holidays:

The trail at Mottisfont this summer is the Gruffalo etc - books by Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler. Good trail and a good exhibition of original drawings from the books also.

Marwell Zoo has a LEGO trail, some fantastic lifesize logo animals. We liked the male lion and the leaping tiger the best.

Romsey Rapids surprisingly bearable (I normally find it too crowded, but maybe less stressful as my DD now older).

Cars 3 enjoyed by DH and DD.

McDonalds at Jn2 has switched to the high-tech ordering system.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »