Talk

Advanced search

Move to Wigan or stay in Salford?

(5 Posts)
IndianaMoleWoman Mon 17-Jul-17 19:51:35

We're about to put our house up for sale after four years in the Swinton area of Salford. We love our house, which we bought as a new build, but we need more space now we have two kids.

We've seen some lovely new build houses a few miles up the East Lancs Road, but they're over the border into Wigan (Tyldesley). DH is from Salford so we knew what we were getting, but does anyone know about Wigan/Tyldesley? What are schools/transport etc like? Will moving that bit further out make travelling into Manchester a nightmare?

madmomma Tue 18-Jul-17 09:01:26

Hmm I'd stay in Salford personally. You're much better connected. My brother lives in Wigan and likes it well enough but you're out the way and it's nowhere near as lively as Salford.

IndianaMoleWoman Tue 18-Jul-17 09:16:24

Thanks madmomma. We do enjoy where we live at the moment but we really want a detached house and the prices are a bit steep in the nicer parts of Salford. Where we're looking in Wigan has a bus stop for the new guided busway really close by, so we thought that'd be handy. But then again, the bus seems like a good option on a warm sunny day like today - might be a different story on a dark, wet winter morning!

We're going to rent for a bit whilst we decide so I guess we've just got to do our homework and find the right balance.

madmomma Tue 18-Jul-17 18:01:48

I'd look around Eccles for cheap detatched. Actual Eccles town centre is vile but we live on the edge of it and we just avoid it and pretend that monton is our nearest town. That's dead easy in Salford because there are all kinds of people/area, iyswim? So you don't feel hemmed in to one particular place. Places like wigan and bolton, whilst cheap, feel quite insular to me, like the people have been there for generations.The good thing about eccles/patricroft/peelgreen is you've got the trafford centre 2 mins away, all the tram links, buses etc, the schools are ok... Anyway good luck. Feel free to pm me if I can help at all xxx

IndianaMoleWoman Tue 18-Jul-17 21:21:53

I know what you mean about Eccles! We went to Pacifica Cantonese a few weeks ago, which was nice, but we thought we'd go for a drink afterwards...nope! Ended up jumping on a tram into town.

We love Monton though, would love to live near there. It's a real hidden gem too - although it's really busy not many people from outside Salford have heard of it.

Thanks for the advice x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: