Talk

Advanced search

Idling Action air quality project seeking volunteers in Hammersmith & Fulham

(3 Posts)
IdlingAction Tue 11-Jul-17 17:19:46

Hi mums of Hammersmith & Fulham,

Apologies for the sudden appearance on your board but we are trying to spread the word about a project which is underway in London aiming to improve air quality by tackling unnecessary engine idling in the capital. I hope it's OK to post this request here.

We are looking for volunteers who are keen to help improve air quality in Hammersmith & Fulham. 15 boroughs in London taking part in this initiative which is funded by the Mayor of London and supported by Transport for London.

At the events, pairs of volunteers hit the streets in order to engage with drivers who leave their engine idling when it’s unnecessary to do so. Many drivers simply do not realise that idling is bad for air pollution and our approach of positive and constructive engagement has achieved an excellent success rate. The vast majority of drivers are very willing to switch off when encouraged to do so, and pledge not to idle in the future.

Our local Air Quality Champions will receive training prior to the event, learning about air pollution and its impacts on health and the approach that we use when talking to drivers. Volunteers will be given tips on how to be persuasive in a short amount of time, and how to respond to drivers’ possible reasons for idling.

More information about the project can be found on the idlingaction.london website and to get involved in activities in your borough, please check out the volunteer pages on our website and fill out the volunteer form and someone will get back to you.

If you have any questions please post them here or email volunteers[at]idlingaction.london.

Thanks for your time!

The Idling Action Team

ArcheryAnnie Mon 17-Jul-17 20:06:57

I am not going to volunteer (as I'm volunteering with too many other things at the moment) but I wish you all the well with this. The air quality in west London is so bad, and when you leave the window open, the much that comes into your flat from the street is horrible! And idling cars/trucks, etc really add to the problem.

IdlingAction Wed 19-Jul-17 12:16:33

Thanks ArcheryAnnie! Air quality is indeed a big issue in London (and in many other cities across the UK). Thankfully it is being recognised as such and we're starting to see some action in this area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: