Talk

Advanced search

Travel to school

(8 Posts)
ritaD Thu 06-Jul-17 12:53:19

I hope to find if there are any parents whose children traveled from York to Heckmondwike or Ripon Grammar school??
Between me and my husband we work in York and Thirsk and we are looking to relocate to somewhere in between depending on the distance and area. Can someone please advise names of the villages so that 3 of us can travel 30mins each??

BikeRunSki Fri 07-Jul-17 01:40:36

Heckmonwike is nowhere near York or Thirsk. The area around York and Thirsk is full of attractive villages and small towns, far too many to list here! You are probably best off getting a map of the area are getting a feel for the layout and transport routes of North Yorkshire.

ritaD Fri 07-Jul-17 12:02:10

@BikeRunSki Thanks for your reply. I know Thirsk is on the other side but was looking for some nice villages between York and Heckmondwike. I shall look at the map.. Cheers

Desperad0 Fri 07-Jul-17 19:42:23

If you're looking to apply to free grammars I would either suggest choosing ripon/Harrogate or somewhere between heckmondwike and Halifax but heckmondwike and York are not doable in 30 mins in rush hour

BikeRunSki Fri 07-Jul-17 19:58:11

York and Heckmondwike are about 40 miles apart. In between is somewhere like Sherburn in Elmet, Monk Fryston, Church Fenton - but Heckmondwike is not a practical location for school from any of those places or York or Thirsk.

Desperad0 Fri 07-Jul-17 21:07:35

Also I could be wrong but I think that heckmondwike offer in catchment first so you'd have to be pretty confident of being in the top 200 to consider moving that far away from york

coldflange Tue 18-Jul-17 08:50:58

I live quite near to Heckmondwike in Mirfield. My DS attended from yr 7-13. It's a good school. However entry is known to be difficult. There is of course an entrance exam taken in the December of y6 - and catchment area plays a large part in acceptance too.

We travel to York often and it never takes us less than an hour. That is on evenings and weekends. Travel in this area of Yorkshire isn't ever straightforward smile It's a busy area - so great for accessing the main routes but no way would I ever consider it as part of a school run. I used to hate having to drive DS to school as it would take me over an hour round trip despite it being only a few miles. Busy, busy traffic routes.

I can't just think of anywhere to suggest for you as I only know about schools in my immediate area - but I definitely think you need to look closer to your chosen area.

Good luck with your search

ritaD Sat 05-Aug-17 22:44:27

Thanks all for the wonderful replies... I shall look into the details for sure....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: