Talk

Advanced search

It's almost time to apply for high school!!!

(16 Posts)
UsernameUnavailableAgain Thu 29-Jun-17 12:14:05

DD is currently in y5 and we need to apply for high school in September for the following year.
DD is quiet and sensitive. She is completely average academically and exactly where she should be so we aren't pursuing the grammar options. She isn't particularly sporty but does love Netball. She also attends musical theatre and performing arts classes which she adores.
She currently attends a large and oversubscribed primary school in Sale where she has been since nursery.
We live 0.7miles from Ashton on Mersey School so this seems like the obvious choice.
Does anyone have experience of the school or the surrounding schools. Im trying to find the right fit so i can make an informed decision.

Hoddykins Thu 29-Jun-17 12:29:13

I went to Flixton girls and really really thrived there.

I've heard some really great things about Ashton on Mersey, but they are very sporty!

What about Altrincham school of arts?

theknackster Thu 29-Jun-17 14:13:18

AoM, Wellington and Altrincham college are all good schools, and friends have said Sale High is really nice too...I think you just need to go to the open days and see which one 'feels' best for your DD.

Robotwars Thu 29-Jun-17 22:40:51

Sale High is a good school, smaller than AoM, and with a fantastic transition programme. You won't get in to Wellington if you live that close to Ashton.

The Netball circuit at secondary is dominated by Alty Girls, though all schools have teams, so I would look at getting her into Trafford Netball Club if you can regardless of where she goes.

Mumagainstthetide Fri 30-Jun-17 13:14:52

Im in the same boat, we live in Urmston. Im hoping to get my daughter into Ashton on Mersey because of her love of sport. I am also considering Flixton girls as people have told me its drama facilities are excellent and its very local! The only thing putting me off is its all girls, and does not reflect the working world. Im worried I will go for AoM and get turned down because of catchment..and i must admit I am worried about her travelling so far!

GnomieD Fri 30-Jun-17 15:56:04

My DS does to Altrincham College and quite a few of his friends come from Sale. We chose it as it's a smaller high school and has good pastoral support.

wangxiaosara Sat 01-Jul-17 20:28:07

My dc is in Year 6 the moment and we went through the process last year. The chance to get in AOM is very small if you live in Urmston. We live in Stretford and this year non of my dc's classmates got offer from AOM.

Robotwars Mon 03-Jul-17 15:47:10

Mumagainstthetide AoM catchment, though widening every year, is very tight - about a mile from the school I think? Trafford school admissions will tell you if you ring them. I don't think you stand any chance from Urmston.

knickernicker Mon 03-Jul-17 15:52:42

Will you not consider the entrance exams at all? She might pass.

wangxiaosara Mon 03-Jul-17 17:28:04

You may find the grammar schools may not actually that difficult to get in. DS's school has two classes for year 6 (30 in each class). This year around 25% goes to grammar schools.

mandy214 Mon 03-Jul-17 22:12:47

You may find the grammar schools may not actually that difficult to get in. 25℅ of 60 children is only 15 going to grammar school.

Robotwars Mon 03-Jul-17 23:05:30

25℅ of 60 children is only 15 going to grammar school

And this is unusual. The average is much less.

wangxiaosara Tue 04-Jul-17 05:28:03

I agree, consider it is a state primary and half of the kids in Year 6 did not even take the test.

mandy214 Tue 04-Jul-17 20:19:17

wangxiaosara you said above that its not difficult to get into?! The point of my post was to say even on your own numbers, its only a 1 in 4 chance. I wouldn't say that is indicative of it bring "not actually that difficult to get in".

Monr0e Fri 07-Jul-17 15:56:06

Hi OP, my DS is due to start at AoM in September. We are also 0.7 miles from the school. I was there last night for a new parents evening and was impressed. They are very traditional in that they put a lot of emphasis on uniform, attendance, punctuality. But also stressed that as well as challenging the children to do their best they would also have lots of support. And lots of extra curricular activities available including sports and drama etc. They said they had over 900 applicants this year for 262 places.

If you are in M33 you are also in catchment for Altrincham college of Arts even though distance wise they are further away. A school bus picks up in Ashton village. I would definitely recommend going to the open days and meeting with the staff and getting a feel for thr schools you are interested in.

Slickster10 Fri 13-Oct-17 17:01:30

If she's a quiet sensitive girl like you say, let her go where her close friends are going, where she will know lots of people. If she is average academically its more important she enjoys school and has friends to bounce off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now