Talk

Advanced search

Schools Colchester

(12 Posts)
poppylisa123 Tue 27-Jun-17 13:52:32

Hello all
We are moving to Colchester from Dorset over the summer and have just secured a rental in the Lexden area. Am just now applying for schools (aaaagh) and just wondered if anyone could advise me! I know they're heavily oversubscribed and I probably won't get where I think but ideally, I want a smallish school that is quite outdoorsy and caring (rather than just focussing on academic achievement). Can be religious or not. Any advice appreciated. Thanks v much.

poppylisa123 Tue 27-Jun-17 13:53:24

PS: state primary schools I should have added. thx.

LauraChant Tue 27-Jun-17 16:14:25

Hi Poppy! Prettygate is a lovely school imo. It has big fields, the littlest ones do Forest School and there's lots of opportunities for PE and sports in the juniors. It has separate infant and junior schools, which I think leads to a more caring ethos in the infant school, I don't know how old yours are. We were not in catchment but chose it over nearer Hamilton, because of just the qualities you are looking for. The problem would be it is over subscribed but I think so are all the primaries round here. PM me if you want more info.

LauraChant Tue 27-Jun-17 16:17:54

I think the current newsletter gives a really good picture of the infant school actually www.prettygate-inf.essex.sch.uk/

poppylisa123 Tue 27-Jun-17 16:27:09

Thanks for the info Laura. I saw it looked nice with a big playing field. Boys are 5 and 7 so would be in diff schools come sept. Are the schools close by to each other can I ask?

LauraChant Tue 27-Jun-17 16:35:28

Yes, they are next to each other - I have one in each at the moment. They have until now had separate heads but from September will have the same head.

LauraChant Tue 27-Jun-17 16:36:55

Home Farm school is supposed to be nice, but I don't know much about it other than the fact it has a swimming pool!

LauraChant Tue 27-Jun-17 16:46:05

Sorry to spam your thread, but I just thought I would mention, the junior school takes in four extra pupils in Year 3, to add on to those coming up from the infants. I would assume those places are already allocated, but just thought I would mention that!

poppylisa123 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:04:08

Ah thanks so much Laura - that's really helpful. x

SGJ Fri 14-Jul-17 20:28:22

Hi! I've Lexden School is lovely too, but also oversubscribed, along with Home Farm and Prettygate. They're the most popular in the area, and similarly St Teresa's is great (currently rated outstanding) but you'll need to be a baptised, practicing catholic to get in there.
If it helps, a friend has recently transferred from Gosbecks to Prettygate and has been really happy with it. All the best!

poppylisa123 Fri 14-Jul-17 21:03:01

Ah thank you - I applied for all of those you mentioned but just been rejected for my youngest son (waiting to hear re the oldest but imagine it will be the same). It's all feeling a bit stressful! smile

poppylisa123 Fri 14-Jul-17 21:07:41

Ps: I've today been offered a school for youngest (not one I applied for),but nothing offered for oldest as yet. So having a look online to see what it's like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now