Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Basingstoke - Need advice URGENTLY PLEASE

(17 Posts)
mayazmum Sun 25-Jun-17 13:59:14

Good morning ladies.....

My husband is currently working in Basingstoke and we are in the process of moving there. We used to live in North Baddesley, a village between Southampton and Winchester, a nice estate close to an outstanding infant school. Everything was spot on.
Now I feel my life is collapsing (DD moving to year 7 next Sept and we missed the dealine ) confused

Could you please help me or at least guide me in the right direction?

I am thinking the following places might be alright:
- Overton
- Oakley
- Alton
- Whitchurch

Any other places that might be similar that i have missed?

DS is football mad too, do you know any good football schools/clubs in the area that i should approach first?

Your help is extremely appreciated.

purplecollar Sun 25-Jun-17 21:52:14

What about Bramley or Mortimer? I only say so because they're on the train line between Reading and Basingstoke so it would be fairly easy to get about. I think they might even come under Reading grammar school's catchment, but you'd have to check on that.

foresttrees2 Sun 25-Jun-17 21:56:27

I live in Overton for a bit, it was lovely. You can get the train to London (through Basingstoke) from there. It has a few pubs and the river goes through. There's a few local shops. Can't comment on the other places though!

mayazmum Mon 26-Jun-17 00:46:21

Thank you Purplecollar, I didnt think of this area....
Good i'll add it to the mixing pot....
Will check the catchment of the Reading Grammar School

mayazmum Mon 26-Jun-17 00:47:42

foresttrees2, I gathered this kind of "intelligence" from mumsnet.......
Can't wait to go and visit.

silverduck Mon 26-Jun-17 16:58:11

Is there a reason you can't stay in North Baddersley if that worked? With the exception of Oakley the commute to Basingstoke from the places you have listed isn't any different, about roughly 30 mins?

Toptack Tue 27-Jun-17 09:24:56

Yes, what silverduck said, not sure anywhere other than Oakley would give you a shorter commute? Also look at secondary catchments - Overton/Whitchurch (Testbourne School) and Alton schools probably currently outrank the Basingstoke comps. I think you're in catchment for Cranbourne School in Oakley? You could also consider Kings Worthy and Micheldever, which would get you closer to Basingstoke but in catchment for Winchester schools.

Evealbeagle Tue 27-Jun-17 16:14:42

What about Alresford? Cliddeston is nice too.

Evealbeagle Tue 27-Jun-17 16:15:09

Four Marks has a good primary school too.

Evealbeagle Tue 27-Jun-17 16:17:13

Have you looked at the Rotherwick/Hook/Hartley Wintney area? There is a good school in Odiham.

Hissy Tue 27-Jun-17 17:40:25

^ that's the area I'm in

It's good for schools generally

My ds will be going to a great school in Alton tho, as I just felt they would care for him more than the school in odiham.

We went to both schools and the difference in vibe was stark, I'd recommend looking at Alton schools over Odiham. My ds is into rugby, The alton school does that better.

Football tho is strong in this area, there are a number of clubs all looking for players

Reading FC is close by too!

Hissy Tue 27-Jun-17 17:42:21

The other place to consider is somewhere around tadley (north of basingstoke) there is a good school in baughurst and it's more rural and leafy

Fretfulparent Tue 27-Jun-17 19:14:35

If your DD has a talent it might be worth looking at Sherfield School. They are very keen for children with passions for sport/drama/art etc and give generous scholarships.
In addition to the above Old Basing and Dummer are nice places to live.also close to the M3 so easy to get out and about.
Oakley hasn't got much going for it IMO and soon will be joined to Basingstoke by the Manydown estate

Ta1kinPeace Mon 17-Jul-17 19:59:15

Why are you moving?
The Baddesley / Basingstoke commute is a common one ....
(bus / drive to parkway and then train)

LadyinCement Tue 18-Jul-17 18:29:33

Yes, I know loads of people who do that commute at the very least. Although you say we "used" to live in NB, so are you renting now? If not I would definitely hold your horses as NB is nicer than some Basingstoke surrounds. If you want dinky village house then that will cost £££, especially in Alresford. Overton is nice, but Whitchurch seems a) a bit dead and b) rather full of teenage yobs (probably connected!).

Ionacat Thu 20-Jul-17 20:54:37

Alton is great (v biased!) The schools both primary/secondary are all good or outstanding and most have spaces - you can generally pick the one that suits your DD/DS the best - we are very lucky. There are several football clubs and rugby is very strong as well.

soupforbrains Fri 08-Sep-17 15:27:39

I've lived in the Overton/Oakley area for most of my life off and on.

I would say that either is nice to live in and both have outstanding primaries. BUT, Overton has a nicer more villagey kind of feel to it and also has a bit more going on and a gin distillery also, in terms of Secondary Catchment in Oakley you're on the borderline between the great school and a crap one (although a LOT of kids go to non-catchment schools anyway) whereas in Overton you'd be safely in catchment for the Good secondary in Whitchurch.

I'm a bit slow on this post, have you made any decisions OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: