Talk

Advanced search

Relocating to Brighton.. much needed advice!

(8 Posts)
Hannon Thu 22-Jun-17 14:49:20

Hello, I'm looking on advice on moving to Brighton. We currently live in the Netherlands (but are originally from the UK) and are planning to relocate to Brighton in a few months time. I don't know the area so I wondered if anyone had any advice on good places to live in, or around, Brighton? We are planning a weekend visit in July to check out the area so I want to make the most of our time there. We have a 9 month old son so ideally we would like to live in a family friendly area. I'd love to live near the beach but not sure if we can afford that! We will rent to begin with and then plan to buy as soon as we find our feet and know where we want to live permanently. We would like to be within walking distance of the usual amenities - supermarket, shops etc, close to decent primary schools and in an area that has some character and life, so if there are any great towns close to Brighton, or great areas within Brighton that fit the bill then please let me know. We need to find a 2 bed place to rent 1100 max - and then when we buy our maximum will be about 350K. All ideas, suggestions and advice is really welcome. Thanks in advance smile

Flitter123 Sat 24-Jun-17 10:31:48

Hi, if you're happy in a flat you should be fine with your budget. Maybe look at Shoreham? It has a lovely beach and is still close to Brighton. You would really need a car though for Supermarkets and stuff as it's not huge. There's lots of nice places in Brighton too, it will just depend how urban you want to be.A lot of the good primaries are oversubscribed but you have a lot of time to worry about that! There are a lot of threads on here where people discuss individual areas so maybe scroll those to narrow it down a bit. Good luck!

Hannon Sat 24-Jun-17 14:10:26

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look at Shoreham. Portslade has been recommended, Woodingdean, Kemp Town and Saltdean. It's just tricky trying to organise things from overseas. We live in Amsterdam at the moment so we are used to a bit of life - that said we feel ready to live in a quieter area (more child friendly) but I just don't want to be too isolated - especially when we don't know anyone in the area. It's really hard to decide which areas to focus on. We're originally from Southend so I'd love to live near the sea again as I do miss that. Anyway, thanks again for your advice and for taking the time. Cheers!

Lavage Sat 24-Jun-17 17:03:38

I'd avoid Woodingdean and Saltdean - so boring and very cut off from Brighton so I think you'd feel isolated.

Kemp Town has been the gay centre for years and is fab for restaurants etc but it's not good for schools.

If I was moving here now I would definitely look at Portslade - friends just moved there and like it a lot. Hollingdean is also pretty good and has excellent access to schools.

Hannon Mon 26-Jun-17 10:19:20

Thanks so much for your advice. It's my first time using mumsnet and I can't believe how useful it's been and how helpful everyone is - so nice of you all to take the time to post a response. Thanks so much smile

GreenGoblin0 Thu 17-Aug-17 23:14:18

agree to avoid saltdean and woodingdean.

you might be able to afford to rent in some areas but not to buy - eg poets corner in hove is very child friendly and close to the sea but you wouldn't be able to buy on your budget but might be able to rent at a push. Preston circus is a great area of central brighton as is five ways but whilst you might be able to rent there you wouldn't be able to buy on that budget.

hollingdean is worth a look but some parts are nicer than others. it has good schools though and is close to town

hollingbury is also nice but a bit further out.

portslade is improving - depending on where you go in portslade you can be close to the sea and also close enough to amenities but some parts of portslade are very much more suburban and cut off.

outside of Brighton - definitely look at shoreham although a lot of it is expensive.

further away is worthing - might be worth looking at.

BrightonBug Fri 18-Aug-17 06:55:04

Have a look at hanover area

taczilla Fri 18-Aug-17 23:09:01

Have a look at Hangleton and area near Aldrington Station 10 mins to beach great schools and gardens! Poets nice but overpriced with small gardens. Very family friendly. In town on the bus in 25 minutes or Brighton by train in 10 mins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now