Talk

Advanced search

Joseph Hood school

(14 Posts)
daisymeg Sun 18-Jun-17 20:01:19

Hi I would be grateful for thoughts on Joseph Hood from current parents. It's the school we will most likely get for my son (year 2) as closest one with places. I toured it last year but it wasn't an official tour and I was shown around by an admin lady who was very nice / helpful, but not able to really give me a feel for the leadership / ethos of the school. I have read the OFSTED report but would be really grateful to hear from parents how they have found the school in practice. Thanks!

LocalEditorMerton Mon 19-Jun-17 10:43:57

Hi daisymeg

Hopefully some other Merton Mumsnetters will be along to give you their insights very soon. In the meantime, here is a related zombie thread that you might find illuminating (caveat - it's nearly two years old).

I have no direct experience of the school but would say that it doesn't seem to have the same popularity/status amongst Wimbledon mums as many of the SW19 primaries do (same as with All Saints and Garfield). Not sure why though.

Good luck!

Kate

Poppetmonkey Tue 27-Jun-17 12:02:19

My daughter is in year 1 at JH and my son has started the nursery. It's a lovely school, where all the staff know all of the children. My daughter joined the school in reception with us having recently moved into the area and she has made some lovely friends. There are lots of activities throughout the school year both school based and PTA based,

The school fair is on saturday between 12-3 why don't you pop along?

Also go and view the school again

Vaniakeely Tue 27-Jun-17 12:07:16

I have 2 children at Joseph Hood that have been there 2 years now. They love the school. I was a little unsure when they started as the school wasnt my first choice but im so glad they go there now. Its a lovely school. Everyone is really friendly and welcoming.

Peterthewomble Tue 27-Jun-17 12:15:59

We've had all four of our children go to Joseph Hood. Our eldest left last year to secondary school and our youngest is currently in year 1. In that time the school has gone from single form to two form entry, and an almost complete building redevelopment. Despite that period of growth the school has retained it's close family atmosphere.

I cannot imagine a school I would rather have sent our kids to.

Vendes Tue 27-Jun-17 14:29:42

Hi there smile
My daughter started nursery at Joseph Hood 3 years ago, we were just arrived in UK and she didn't know a single word in English. The whole school was amazingly supportive with her and in a very short time she was able to talk and enjoy her friends!
She's now in Year 1 (so she could possibly be with your son in September) and even if she's the youngest in the class (she was born at the end of August) I'm constantly impressed by all the improving she's doing in each part of her school life.
My son has started nursery in January and is also very happy, as he knew the school for ages while dropping off and picking up his sister with me every day.

It's an amazing little big family, each and every person inside the school (from the head teacher to the lady helping with the lunch) knows each child's name and there's a true feeling of mutual respect between children and grown ups.
The school itself is a very nice and safe environment and I couldn't be happier.
There's a very active and friendly PTFA constantly organising events for both children and parents.
I wouldn't change it with any other school smile

Hope it helps and as somebody already wrote, we're going to have our Summer Fair this Saturday 12-3pm: please, come, have a look and a chat.

Hopefully see you also in September.

pocketfullof Wed 28-Jun-17 14:28:51

We chose Joseph Hood from nursery for our bright, early-reading son 7 years ago and we haven't regretted it - he's now in Y5, reading and writing at a very high level and a confident communicator who is involved in lots of activities.

We have no family nearby (half is in another country) so it was important to find a school that would offer a welcoming community alongside a good education, and that's what we got! The SLT is very accessible and was praised in the recent Ofsted report and it's true what others have already said - every adult knows every child in school. And we have great breakfast/afterschool care that understands parents' schedules change & is available on a flexible basis.

Don't be put off by location (it's a bit of a Tardis!) and come visit again to see for yourself what it can offer your child and your family. We pride ourselves on being a "village" school - smaller than most, friendly and supportive!

daisymeg Sat 22-Jul-17 16:16:49

Thanks so much for these responses - very helpful and encouraging! I really appreciate it.

Midaduarte Sat 25-Nov-17 08:04:23

We are moving from Cornwall to Wimbledon and my son was allocated St.Joseph hood school. I have chosen any other school apart from this one. Is a good school?friendly? My son was bullied in Cornwall that's why I am asking it...

Midaduarte Sat 25-Nov-17 08:11:20

He is in the reception by the way. Any help would be appreciated. My son is not the fluent in English but I hope he can improve and we hope he can read and write with support. Do they have a good support ?

Teddygirlonce Sat 25-Nov-17 11:43:33

Midaduarte, hello.

It's got a 'good' Ofsted (and has been visited this year). I think you should take on board what the local mums with insider knowledge say ^ (as they are the ones with direct and recent experience of the school).

Getting a mid school year place is always difficult and not necessarily going to give you the desired school allocation outcome. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't turn out for the best though. You could always leave your DS's name on the waiting list for a preferred choice option should you want to keep your options open? However, chances are that your DS will settle in really well and you won't want to move him.

Would suggest you try to visit the school to get a first-hand feel for it. Or, failing that, have a phone conversation with a member of the Joseph Hood Primary School SLT.

You'll find that even in Wimbledon many of the children don't speak English as their first language, so the schools have years of experience and expertise to help their pupils. I would imagine in Cornwall it's much less the case?

Midaduarte Sat 25-Nov-17 13:31:45

Thank you Teddygirl . Just worried if my son will be OK. Thank you for ur advice. Hope he settles in really well.

Teddygirlonce Sat 25-Nov-17 16:43:47

Midaduarte if you have specific concerns, given the bullying in his previous school, why not flag up to your DS's new teacher/the Head of Early Years and Foundation Stage? Also, worth checking the school's website and most recent Ofsted report particularly to see what if anything is said about how they deal with it, or if it is considered a school problem? And be direct in asking them if you have any concerns.

Hope your DS settles in really well and flourishes. From the comments made above it sounds as if the school has a really great community feel.

cuckcooclock Thu 30-Nov-17 22:25:34

Midaduarte - it really is a lovely school. The staff are very caring and helpful. Tell them your fears, they are really very supportive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now