Talk

Advanced search

Search mums in or around Penistone

(20 Posts)
Mufle Mon 05-Jun-17 11:56:49

Hi
I am moving to Penistone with my husband and my 10 month old daughter this week. As exciting as it is to buy your first house, I also feel quite lonely.

I don't have any family nor friends in the area and am desperate to find new friends as well as little play buddies for Hannah.
It would be lovely to meet some nice mums especially as we are settling down in this town.
Can't wait to hear from you!
xx

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Mon 05-Jun-17 17:52:43

Hi

We've recently moved to Penistone but didn't used to live too far away.

My daughter is quite a bit older but when she was younger we used to go to a lovely baby and toddler group in Silkstone Common at the Church Hall. It used to be on a Monday and Wednesday and I met some lovely people there also a group at Cawthorne on Tuesday and Thursday.

There will be more local baby and toddler groups, I think Tesco has a notice board in store.

Penistone is a beautiful place to live with a real community feel - there's an Armed Forces military day at the show ground on the 24th June.

Mufle Mon 05-Jun-17 19:29:27

Hi

Thanks so much for your answer. I will definitely try to go to such group gatherings and events.

Good to know about Tesco!

vickibee Tue 06-Jun-17 07:14:17

I live in penistone but my son is ten so perhaps not a suitable playmate, it has become really popular in recent years. it is a great place to live with good schools, although there doesn't seem enough places to go round following all new build housing locally.

vickibee Tue 06-Jun-17 07:14:59

Where are you moving from,

Mufle Tue 06-Jun-17 07:41:02

We have moved to Leeds from Surrey because of my husband's job. We are renting in Leeds and only as an interim till we have a house.

Yes we saw that there are lots of new houses being built. I was wondering how the local school would be able to fit everyone in...

Do you happen to know what other options of good schools there are?

Very excited to finally settle down!

How long have you been living there? How is the community?

vickibee Tue 06-Jun-17 19:36:16

My ds goes to thurlstone primary a small village school rated outstanding by ofsted. I was born here moved away for unni etc and came back. We live in an Edwardian house. You must think homes here are dirt cheap after living in Surrey!

Mufle Tue 06-Jun-17 21:27:36

Worse, i originally come from Switzerland, where prices are even higher than Surreygrinconfused. My husband grew up in South Yorkshire so we decided to move back closer to his family. It was a nice surprise to be able to buy in such a beautiful area to affordable prices!

Mufle Tue 06-Jun-17 21:28:34

..and Yorkshire people are super friendly which is definitely a plus too!

NicoleAaron Tue 27-Jun-17 10:31:35

Hi
We too are moving to Penistone in the next few months, it's nice to hear positive things about it.
Can I ask, which primary schools would you recommend applying for?
Also, looking to rent a house at first but there doesn't seem to be much out there, if anyone knows of any local sites where people maybe advertise privately?
My daughter is 12 and my son 10, and we are moving from abroad so it will be a big and nervous change for them.
Thank you

vickibee Tue 27-Jun-17 12:06:00

All schools are good locally. Thurlstone and st johns both got outstanding ofsted recently. The high school is called penistone grammar but it is really a comp having kept its historical name. There is a lot of competition for places especially Springvale as it is quite a new build and has great facilities.

NicoleAaron Tue 27-Jun-17 12:28:56

Oh thanks for the advise. Does Penistone Grammar still have a good reputation?

I also posted on the 'local' mumsnet page and just recieved an awfully negative response re. Penistone. 😮

vickibee Tue 27-Jun-17 13:09:18

It was rated good last ofsted. The funding formula doesnt do it any favours. It is one of the worst funded schools in england apparently. We live 5 mins walk from there amd my son will probably go and he is sen.
Why a poor response it cant beso bad as lots of newcomers in last decade

NicoleAaron Tue 27-Jun-17 14:01:16

Yes, I read about the funding situation. I wonder why that is the case. I see that you replied to the other comment. Maybe she just had a bad experience. 😬
I've visited quite a lot recently and has a nicer feel to bring up kids.
Here's hoping we can get a late place sorted in the schools.
Thanks for your advice, and sorry for hijacking the original postings!
I may be back for more help in the next few weeks

vickibee Tue 27-Jun-17 14:13:58

is he Y5 - Know there are places at Thurlstone, it has had new classrooms added to cater for increased population. it is a small village school only 130 kids

vickibee Tue 27-Jun-17 14:15:12

if you are used to living in a big city it may be hard to settle I guess, also public transport is not brill so a car comes in handy

NicoleAaron Tue 27-Jun-17 14:58:53

Yes my son yr5 my daughter yr8. I'm not too worried about my son he is quite easy going and adaptable, Thurlstone sounds nice. I think daughter will be harder to adapt.
That's why I think It will be nicer and less daunting for them, rather than to go to a busier place.
As long as there is a football club and horse riding we should be ok.

NicoleAaron Fri 30-Jun-17 09:30:16

Hi vickibee
Could i bother you again for some info.
Not sure whether to apply for Thurlstone or St Jonns primary, I'm liking the idea of the smaller community feel of Thurlstone and thinking my son might get more personal help to catch up, and I hear there's an out of school drop off service if i need it too.
On the other hand I'm thinking St. John's might offer more activities and after school things ie. sport, music etc . Not sure if there's any drop off service.
What's your comparison ?
Thankyou

NicoleAaron Fri 30-Jun-17 10:51:14

I've heard thurgoland is great too but think the distance maybe bit far.
Shame I haven't had chance to visit them all

vickibee Fri 30-Jun-17 11:06:59

There is an oosc adjacent to thurlstone that provide wrap around care and holiday club as well. Not sure about St. John's, think child's play offer pick up service to their oosc. Thur go land is good but is four miles from penistone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: