Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Southampton - difficult choices to make

(5 Posts)
davko Tue 02-May-17 21:00:31

Hello everyone,
I have a family of 4 (inc. 2 boys aged 7 and 3).
I am planning to move to Southampton (from Epsom) but I am faced with some very challenging choices. I have done some research and I am happy to share it here with everyone, and hopefully someone will be able to help with some ideas. Moving to So'ton in order to settle and buy an affordable house.

HOUSE: I am looking to move in an area which is:
- not located in the centre of So'ton (just to avoid as much as possible the student life and the busyness);
- not too far from local amenities;
- not remote or in a village (with good public transport service/easy access);
- nice houses (ideally not too old: not victorian or georgian?).

SCHOOL: the ideal area:
- should have schools (both primary and secondary) with good Ofsted ratings - above national average;
- should NOT be located in a village area.

After lots of research, I am drawn to TOTTON.
However, it looks like the Good primary schools feed into some 'not so Good' secondary schools. And the 'not so good' primary schools lead in to a Good secondary school.

So, for my older son to get into HOUNSDOWN (Outstanding with 79% of pupils achieving A* to C), he will need to attend one of these:
- Abbotswood Jr (Requires Improvement with 53% performing at the expected level) - which is on par with the national average of 53%. This school is not performing well at all for the past few years.
- Foxhill Jr (57%)
- Bartley (60%)

For him to get into Upper Shirley High (Good, with 66% of pupils achieving A* to C), he will need to attend these feeder primary schools:
- Shirley Jr (66%)
- Hollybrook Jr (49%) - which is below the national average of 53%.
- Wordsworth (Academy) - no score.

TESTWOOD has a Good Ofsted (2015) but has a really bad score in 2017 (only 51% of pupils achieving A* to C), well below the national average of 63%. They were on Section 8 in 2014 and 2015.

I am really not sure where in So'ton to move into. I was considering Eastleigh but I have discounted it as it is diverse enough for my liking.
Thank you in advance for any advice you may provide.

Adelie0404 Tue 02-May-17 22:49:02

Well done for doing research! I work at the hospital and although North Baddesley or Rownhams may be called villages, but are not small and they are close to Southampton. I can in fact cycle to work - it is a mere 3 miles for me, or if drive it, no traffic lights! Which is remarkable for Southampton. My children went/are at the North Baddesley schools and Mountbatten which is a large secondary and are doing very well and happy there. Diversity - not so great. Maybe not what you want but you could look into it. I was brought up in Chandlers Ford and say don't live there (but that is my personal bias!), but excellent schools and nice but pricey houses.

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 03-May-17 17:10:34

Chandler's ford has great schools but transport is awful. You will need a car to go anywhere.

Agree with the other poster that North Baddesley and Romsey schools are very good too. If you live in north baddesley your catchment secondary is Mountbatten in Romsey.

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 03-May-17 17:11:38

I don't think there are any good secondaries in southampton proper but I stand to be corrected. It could be old prejudices and I'm not up to date with the latest changes.

Talkinpeace Thu 04-May-17 21:02:04

Hmmm, Totton.
I'll add a much better vote for Baddesley or Romsey
Alternatively Bitterne Park might tick all your boxes

Don't rule out Hedge End or Fair Oak

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now