Talk

Advanced search

Nice places to live with family for 250k budget?

(16 Posts)
barmouthdreams Fri 28-Apr-17 15:49:54

Hullo, DH has been offered a job in south wales. Can anyone recommend any nice places to live with a family where we can get a three bedroom place for about 250K? I have been looking on rightmove, searching under Cardiff, but I have no idea what the areas I am looking at are like! Any advice appreciated, thanks!

CottonSock Fri 28-Apr-17 17:06:56

Where is your ideal in terms of location to work? Its a big area

barmouthdreams Fri 28-Apr-17 19:02:45

Well, my husband will be commuting to pencoed. I don't think our budget will stretch to ideal though! Most places seem to be very much on the outskirts of Cardiff
I have seen a house we could afford in birchgrove but is that a really busy, noisy area?
Sorry for delay in replying, with getting kids back from nursery and dinner.

Spam88 Fri 28-Apr-17 19:10:02

You'll get a lot more for your money if you live outside of Cardiff. We moved to Bridgend last year (I commute to Cardiff) and very happy here ☺️

CottonSock Fri 28-Apr-17 21:16:34

Birchgrove does have some busy roads but not a bad area. Whitchurch is lovely and not far from there. Also Rhiwbina. Both have a village feel. It's a competive housing market though in those areas. A nice bit of birchgrove I would def consider.

Look what you could get in Barry for 250k though
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/fullscreen/image-gallery.html?propertyId=59334097

barmouthdreams Sat 29-Apr-17 08:35:38

Thanks. The house is in coronation road.
Spam, what is bridgend like, is there a lot to do with a young family? I am afraid I only know it from the bad press a while ago?

ShangriLaLaLa Sat 29-Apr-17 10:45:48

Hi Coronation Road will give you value for money but is always jammed with park cars. It is also used as a cut through for traffic looking to avoid a number of sets of traffic lights. I'm guilty of that. If you do move, I will desist!

CottonSock Sat 29-Apr-17 11:08:10

As you suspect it's a busy area, but possibly good for your budget.
Not sure where I would pick for 250k. Llanishen, possibly also a bit cheaper and family friendly. Outside of Cardiff and into valleys like Llantrisant

CottonSock Sat 29-Apr-17 11:13:58

Such as www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44661981.html
Although I suspect the school places might be reason for price, both oversubscribed (if you don't mind you could get a good house)

CottonSock Sat 29-Apr-17 11:16:28

I'd definitely pick that overy birchgrove location. Due to proximity to parks, Roath lake etc. Hope that helps

CottonSock Sat 29-Apr-17 15:55:15

Or canton

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47519487.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59420152.html

Spam88 Sat 29-Apr-17 16:04:04

Sorry OP, no kids (for another few weeks anyway!) so no idea about things for young kids.

cittigirl Sat 29-Apr-17 17:31:19

The Barry house is gorgeous. Not wishing to move and know nothing about Barry or Wales grin

barmouthdreams Sat 29-Apr-17 18:45:25

Thanks everyone. So sorry for my delays in getting back. I have to go to a desktop. Yes, it does seem hard to find anything for our budget and schools are an issue (sighs).
Cottonsocks thanks for that link - I do like the idea of being close to parks....: )
Congratulations on your soon arriving family Spam88!l

ShangriLaLaLa Sat 29-Apr-17 23:37:42

Barmouth - Cardiff is really a great place to live and the variety in the suburbs/villages is considerable.

Don't be too despondent about prices. A couple of my friends are selling property in this bracket in North Cardiff as part of family probate estates. They say very little is moving at the moment and they are having to consider sizeable price drops. Don't be afraid to make your offers on the low side.

sazzleevans Mon 08-May-17 11:40:04

Llandaff North is lovely for kids!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »