Talk

Advanced search

Moving to a small village near Taunton - BT or Talktalk for Internet and TV?

(19 Posts)
umck2014 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:21:43

Hi all

DH and I are moving to a small village near Taunton. According to the Internet coverage checker, I could get fibre broadband min 49Mb speed guarantee from BT. And I can also get some fast broadband from Talktalk - but their speed checker is down all day and I can't check the speed.

From your experience, which internet provider is better in terms of reliability and customer service? We're happy to pay more if it means stabler and faster connection.

Also DH is a fan of all sports mostly rugby and soccer so we'll need to get cable tv. If we only get Internet coverage by BT and Talktalk, does it mean these are the only options? Sorry I have no idea confused

Being recently relocated to the UK, we have no clue about which telecomm companies have better rep or the other so any tips from you would be much appreciated! Cheers all.

misscph1973 Thu 27-Apr-17 09:34:37

Welcome to Somerset! I'm in a small village near Taunton as well, and I have had BT for nearly 3 years It's fine, but I really can't say if the same will apply to you, as it depends on the the exchange, your distance to it and amount of other users.

Sorry, can't advise you about cable Tv as I don't have it.

CiderwithBuda Thu 27-Apr-17 13:35:31

We are in Taunton and have BT Infinity. We had Sky broadband but it kept buffering so we switched and are happy with speed etc. We have Sky TV and Sports but also get BT Sports as apparently we need it! Not all the football matches are on Sky.

Fairly happy with it. It's reliable and fast.

mateysmum Thu 27-Apr-17 14:10:59

BT will probably cost more, but TalkTalk has a poor customer service reputation, so I'd say BT.
Whereabouts are you moving too?

PovertyJetset Thu 27-Apr-17 15:50:59

Talk talk have the WORST customer rep!!

umck2014 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:58:18

Thanks for the responses guys! Sounds like BT is a winner here.
Once we are settled, I'll like to set up a home office and living away from home means having reliable internet with good customer service is important to us. Looks like we'll be going with BT smile

On a separate topic - which phone provider are you with? I'm with Vodafone and there is ZERO reception around where we're moving to. Is it just me? Or would other providers possibly give me better reception???

@mateysmum We're moving to West Monkton - a small village 3 miles out of Taunton.

CiderwithBuda Thu 27-Apr-17 17:04:07

Yes - dh had Vodafone and had coverage issues at home. He switched to EE which is what DS and I were on. There is one spot in the house that's difficult but otherwise it's ok.

mateysmum Thu 27-Apr-17 20:34:28

UMCK I know exactly where West Monkton is. I live further out, but drive through Monkton Heathfield on my route to Taunton.

Re mobile phone coverage, it's tricky. If you are in the dip beyond W Monkton, I think you will struggle. All I can suggest is you look at the providers coverage map and talk to your future neighbours.

Our coverage is not great but in our nearest village it is worse. Best place is on the Levels where there are no houses, but there is a mast!

mateysmum Thu 27-Apr-17 20:35:37

Waves at Cider! Long time no post.

CiderwithBuda Thu 27-Apr-17 22:45:16

Waves back at mateysmum! Long time indeed!

We might have to do a Taunton meet up!

umck2014 Thu 27-Apr-17 22:57:08

@Mateysmum Yeah just had a look there - Where I am apparently is right on the boarder between good indoor and outdoor reception and outdoor reception (according to EE). Will speak to the landlord again and find out what he knows. Rural living rookie error lol
Hopefully we can sort something out wink

misscph1973 Fri 28-Apr-17 09:20:18

West Monkton is lovely! Have you got kids?

I'm on Vodaphone, and the reception was so bad they gave me a signal booster, as I threatened to change provider. It was better when I was on 3, so as soon as my contract expires, I'm going back.

I suggest you find a local FB page for Monkton and ask, I have great advice from several local FB pages.

umck2014 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:06:46

Hi Misscph, yes I do!! I have a 6month old DD. Can't wait to sign her up to swimming classes and playgroups. Do you happen to know any groups who you'd recommend us joining? I just found a West Monkton baby and toddle FB page. Hopefully it'll lead to something smile

There was absolute no signal when I was at the house even in the garden so I reckon even a booster will not do. Lucky I only have a pay as I go sim card for now but yeah I will need to look at other providers.

mateysmum Fri 28-Apr-17 14:25:06

Do include Monkton Heathfield in your search for social activities. Heathfield has literally 1000's of new houses being built and a brand new primary school, there must be tons of young families around. West Monkton and Monkton Heathfield share a village hall and I often see mums and toddlers gathering in the car park there. There is also a secondary school in Monkton Heathfield which has a theater attached, so probably there are activities using those facilities as well.

DungballInADress Fri 28-Apr-17 14:40:37

We are about 30 minutes south of Taunton. We switched from Sky to TalkTalk because the price of Sky had become astronomical. We got a good 18 month deal withas everything half price. We have a few connection issues from time to time but on the whole it's pretty good. BT can be very slow to actually get an engineer out to you.

Anyway, welcome to the neighbourhood smile I'm originally fairly local but moved DH & 2 DC's down here from the north west about 5 years ago. We've never looked back and are very happy and settled here now. Good luck!

umck2014 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:57:19

MN is great!! Thanks ladies you've been very helpful starstarstar

butterfly990 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:53:04

One thing to bare in mind with internet is that your internet provider must give you a figure of what speed you can be expected to get. If you find you are not achieving this speed you have 3 months from signing up in which to change provider without a penalty. www.speedtest.net/
Also if you internet provider changes your monthly tariff you can change providers at this point. I think you have a month to do this. BT have done this to me.

www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/ofcom-checker

A general website for saving money that I find useful is this one.
www.hotukdeals.com/

Sizzlesthedog Sun 30-Apr-17 18:24:16

If you are in west monkton. I'd really recommend the NCT early days cafe in the village hall. Monkton Heathfield on the main road. Run by an amazing post natal leader. Very friendly and welcoming. Weds 10.30-12
Every week.

umck2014 Mon 01-May-17 12:30:52

Thanks Sizzles! Will definitely check it out! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »