Talk

Advanced search

Guidance sought on insights about Uckfield

(8 Posts)
Jugger Wed 05-Apr-17 16:14:07

Hello there

We currently live in London and have been looking for a new area to move to in East Sussex. From a tour of the area and speaking to some of the locals, we really like the feel of Uckfield and are now looking to move there in the summer.

Our aim is to rent for a year or so, to make sure we like living there and that the area provides what we want as a family in the medium – long term, then look to buy a house.

Does anyone have any insights into whether there are any no go areas/ areas to avoid and or which are the ‘nice’ areas to live (max 2-2.5 miles from the town) in Uckfield?

Also, any recommends on good nurseries would be very welcome.

Thanks

Jugger

choosingchoices Thu 06-Apr-17 15:13:15

I grew up in uckfield and although I live fairly close I don' t know it so well now. There are some really nice villages nearby- Framfield and Buxted are lovely and Blackboys, although a bit further has a great primary school.

Can't help much with areas within the town to avoid or choose or nurseries though, sorry

taylor1968 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:18:11

I currently live just outside of London but am also looking to move possibly around the East Sussex area. i wondered if you did make the move and any advice you or anyone else can give me. I have 3 children 5, 10 and 12 so will be looking at both primary and secondry schools.

Dottykitty Fri 29-Dec-17 10:31:22

A lot of schools don't have many places but Fletching CE Primary School I know have lots of spaces as they are a small village school and it's a fab school. I've been hearing lots of great things about it recently! It's a little outside of Uckfield not far though!

IamSpartacusTheGardener Fri 29-Dec-17 11:31:03

The town is being saddled with major housing developments without any obvious ramping up of services and utilities. It is also happening in many surrounding villages. I would look in Buxted, High Hurstwood, Fletching, Nutley, Fairwarp, Five Ash Down, Hadlow Down but NOT in Uckfield or Hailsham.

There are many reports of feral kids causing all sorts of problems in Uckfield town centre. The district council is also considering reducing or removing the free parking currently enjoyed by Wealden residents. Biggest issue of all to my mind is building hundreds and hundreds of new dwellings but with no obligation on the developers to provide the schools, doctors, dentists surgeries, etc they initially promised. You just have to look what has happened in the completed developments in the villages around Uckfield to see the developers blueprint. My village has suffered this and to date we have not seen new schools, surgeries, light industrial estates, etc, etc just houses, busier roads, more anti-social behaviour and flooding.

Sorry to be so gloomy but that's how it is around here. We are building houses and that is all.

If you want to know the state of play in Uckfield join the Uckfield Talk, Squawk or Shout groups on fb and scroll through the last few months. You'll have enough info to make an informed decision. Also, clock the volume of people asking for recommendations for doctor, dentist, nurseries, schools, etc.

Finally, if you ask locals they will tell you it's ok or no better or worse than anywhere else but if you ask recent arrivals they think it's lovely!

Good luck!

50ShadesOfEarlGrey Sun 31-Dec-17 09:46:36

Uckfield is a very friendly place, with lots to do, clubs to join, places to go locally. There is very little vandalism, and I live really close to the town centre and know nothing of these ‘feral gangs’ talked about.

Yes, there are additional houses coming, the primary schools (all rated good) have places, but UCTC (secondary school) is oversubscribed so I’m not sure what will happen.

We have a wonderful privately owned cinema, good restaurants and pubs, the normal Costa, Pizza express. Food shopping is Tesco or Waitrose, we have a great deli, a cheese shop, flowers shops, two good furniture shops. We are lucky in that not being very close to a large town keeps our high street busy and the shop units, for the most part, full.

I think traditional Uckfield folk do not like change, and I think there will be changes to come, which is then moaned about in local media. The new homes will increase traffic issues, but if you are coming from London/Brighton/Worthing/Horsham you will wonder what everyone was moaning about! Having lived or worked in all those areas I do know what I am talking about. The new homes will keep our high street, schools, community groups alive and thriving, which is something that other small towns are increasingly struggling with.
I don’t think there are any bad areas of Uckfield, there is a council estate and some people will not move there, but I have several friends who live there and they love it. Other than that you just have to drive around and have a look to see what you think, and price differences will be your clue. There is very little period property, it is mostly well set out small, modern housing estates.
Good luck with your possible move.

IamSpartacusTheGardener Sun 31-Dec-17 10:41:11

50Shades......

The feral kids were on the receiving end of a banning order yesterday. Banned from town centre for 48 hours. If you followed the Uckfield fb groups you would probably be aware of this issue.

OP. You have heard from an optimist and a pessimist. Your call smile

eurochick Sun 31-Dec-17 11:19:36

The train line seems to be the most complained about on the Southern Rail Facebook page. Something to consider if you will be commuting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: