Talk

Advanced search

Churchfields school catchment area

(7 Posts)
Nidster123 Tue 28-Mar-17 03:46:43

Hi all, would be of great help if anyone can confirm / advice if Queen Mary's development in South Woodford is in the catchment of Churchfields School. We have had mixed responses and saw an article (back from 2012) at upset residents not getting into the school.
We are moving to the area so would like to rent where we are almost guaranteed a place in the infant school. Many thanks lovely mums x

crystalgall Tue 28-Mar-17 10:52:18

Unlikely. The last catchment was around 0.3/0.4 miles. I don't know what it was for 2016/17 but you can check with the council

It's hit and miss who gets in. There are roads you think are a dead cert and then roads that seem further away that get in but of course all that also depends on the order of entry so in care children first etc.

I wouldn't go for the flat unless you are 0.3 door to door. Even stairs count!

Gooseysgirl Fri 21-Apr-17 14:33:34

Catchment has widened this year (over 0.5), but going on previous years I wouldn't risk it. I've got a friend living in QM gate and the playground is piddling distance from their flat as the crow flies but walking distance is classified as much longer. They didn't get in.

Nidster123 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:55:26

Thanks crystalgall and gooseysgirl. You are right, not worth risking it. Queen Mary's out for us then. There are properties that come up on churchfields that would hopefully get us in. I saw a lovely flat in Rectory Court, OPP Queen Mary GP surgery, 7 min walk which may be within catchment.
Gooseysgirl, where did you hear abt catchment widening this year?

Nidster123 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:58:23

Also, before i forget...
Is my understanding correct- if the school has 15 places and gets 15 applications from residents 5 min down the road, then all other applications even if they are 6min down the road get rejected?? (I.e. given the second choice of school)
Thank you,
confused mum !

scramble69 Wed 03-May-17 14:29:06

Primary reception to year 6 criteria
"looked after" children and those previously looked after, who were immediately adopted or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order. A looked after child is a child who is in the care of a local authority as defined by section 22 of the Children's Act 1989
children where it is agreed that it is essential they be admitted to the school on exceptional medical or psychological grounds. Requests for a particular school, based on the serious medical or psychological condition of the child, must be supported by a qualified professional directly involved with the child and will be referred to the Authority’s medical or psychological adviser for observations before any decision is made. Parents are responsible for providing the required information at the same time as their application
children with siblings who are already on roll in the main school in reception to Year 6 (not a nursery class attached to the school) and will still be on roll when the child is admitted and:
children living nearest to the school as measured by the shortest walking distance according to a Geographic Information System from the child’s home to the main entrance of the school using public roads and recognised footpaths. Children in each category are ranked on the basis of distance

thewholeplacestinks Tue 23-May-17 16:06:31

Queen Mary pretty much IS the catchment for the school. You could easily fill the school alone with the kids from there. I have lived in the area 15 years and seen the catchment shrink because of that development. Streets that were in the catchment for decades are no longer because of the new 'village which sits on top of the school. Dd went there. Fab school. If i had had another kid it would probably had zero chance of getting in. Wish you luck with that..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »