Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Newport

(36 Posts)
Robindrama Wed 08-Feb-17 21:43:10

We are moving to Newport, hopefully by summer, with two kids, primary school age. Can you please recommended areas where to look for a house? Good schools both primary and secondary, possibly a park around, family friendly. Links with Cardiff and Bristol would be a bonus. Could you please help?

Silverdream Wed 08-Feb-17 22:28:15

Newport isn't great. Look at caerleon, usk , langstone, bassaleg rogerstone these all are nice areas. The first two are nicer than the others.

anyname123 Thu 09-Feb-17 06:56:41

Depends if you need to be in a certain part of Newport, and what your budget is really. There are some really nice parts of Newport, and some really bad ones too

BeyondTheLimits Thu 09-Feb-17 09:45:35

What's your price range for the house? I live in a 'bad' area, yet my children's school is high scoring in assessments, and I have a decent size house with a two car drive and a nice garden so... <shrug>

anyname123 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:50:37

And a word of warning, Newport is becoming pretty unaffordable as people from Cardiff and Bristol buy houses here, really pushing the prices up. An EA told me last week that 90% of viewers are now from Bristol for houses priced over 200k.

Purpleplumb Sun 12-Feb-17 11:41:33

If you are looking for a community plus the schools and good travel links etc I'd look at Bassaleg / Rhiwderin and also Caerleon / Ponthir. I know people living in both those areas and they're lovely. Newport CC recently released up-to-date school ratings which would be worth a look.

BeyondTheLimits Sun 12-Feb-17 12:08:19

www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/15059059.Find_out_colour_code_ratings_for_Gwent_schools/

Sounsure12349 Sun 12-Feb-17 16:02:06

I live in Bassaleg , I would say this is the nicest area next to the best conprehenisve school in Newport ....

junglie Sun 12-Feb-17 16:16:24

When we were looking at South Wales in general we were advised to avoid Newport. We looked at Caldicot and the Wye Valley area and ended up settling near to Monmouth. We often go shopping to Newport as there's a good choice of shops. Comparing house prices in Newport the houses seem quite reasonably priced and there's lots of the type of houses I like the look of but it just wasn't an area we chose. Good luck with your search.

BelafonteRavenclaw Sun 12-Feb-17 21:44:53

Caerleon, Ponthir and Usk are lovely places. Good schools and nice communities. DH works in Bristol (previously worked in Cardiff) and both are accessible.

BBCK Thu 16-Feb-17 19:41:53

Best school in Newport is Bassaleg. It's technically just outside Newport on the Cardiff side. We live in catchment.
Newport crown centre 12 mins
John Lewis car park Cardiff 25 mins
Field with sheep 5 mins walk
River walk 5 min walk
Beautiful forest drive with stunning views 10 mins
Sandy Beach 40 mins

Newport has some great value housing and as long as you avoid the rough bits, it's a great place to live. M4 is a few mins drive. Bristol is 30 mins away. Pembrokeshire 1.5 hours. What's not to like?

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:51:45

I've lived in Newport all my life. Some of the attitudes above annoy me. What's your budget? New house or old? There are rough areas, but so has anywhere. Allt-yr-ryn is nice, Rogerstone, High Cross..personally I don't like Bassaleg (and it IS Newport, as is Caerleon!). Beechwood is also nice but schools not as good.

Best Primary Schools are Glaslwch, Clytha (both Allt Yr Ryn catchment), High Cross, Mount Pleasant. High Schools - St Josephs, Bassaleg.

Stick to the NP20 post code.

BeyondTheLimits Fri 17-Feb-17 09:47:51

I agree pram, they do come off as rather snobby... hmm

No area in Newport is so bad that you'll have the tyres stolen off your car, and all of the areas have had their own drug-busts, just like anywhere.

And the greatest impact on schooling is how much the parents care about education, not what rating the school is.

BeyondTheLimits Fri 17-Feb-17 09:49:16

Think how helpful some of your posts have been if the OP has a budget of £100k and needs three bedrooms...

anyname123 Fri 17-Feb-17 10:23:19

3 beds on 100k is so possible, wish op would come back and tell us, so I can put my rightmove obsession to good use grin

Robindrama Sun 19-Feb-17 18:07:20

Thank you all for all replies! Our budget is about £150k, we need 3 bedrooms. Parking space is a must (driveway)
Thanks for the school ratings- very helpful!
If you suggest looking outside Newport- where would you settle?

BBCK Sun 19-Feb-17 19:35:47

You will have lots of choice with that budget. It depends if you wish to be nearer Cardiff or Bristol. You could also look at Cwmbran.

Robindrama Sun 19-Feb-17 19:40:32

Bbck- the place where you live sounds lovely! What postcode shall I be looking at?

anyname123 Mon 20-Feb-17 09:30:10

I like the West side of Newport "the desirable West end" in EA speak! A quick look turns up a few houses like this
I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/64704119
You really won't struggle on your budget

BBCK Mon 20-Feb-17 12:10:52

Robin drama I'm in Np10

Willow25 Tue 21-Feb-17 11:39:57

This house you have linked to in Robertson way is a couple of minutes from where I live. Really like the area, it's quiet and friendly and in easy reach of everywhere worth being. Good luck with the house hunting! smile

BeyondTheLimits Tue 21-Feb-17 11:49:46

Np20 encompasses quite a wide area smile

Robindrama Sat 25-Feb-17 22:27:41

There seems to be lots of interest in Newport houses....

anyname123 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:09:32

Eh, how do you mean?

Robindrama Sun 26-Feb-17 20:57:35

I picked up two newly listed properties to look at ( before half term), we went away for a week. Both sold stc when we got back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »