Talk

Advanced search

Winsford - Cheshire

(63 Posts)
marc1983 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:51:33

Hi, I am relocating my family from Devon to Winsford, Cheshire in the New Year and would love to hear people's views on my big move.I have read mixed reviews with some being dreadful?!?I have 2 young boys and would love to hear about local schools and youth activities.Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!!

Voicesinmyear Fri 30-Dec-16 13:21:53

I suppose Ed if you were minted and you were a true supporter of all things Cheshire, it would have to be a Bentley rather than a Rolls anyway smile.

I'll swap you no heating for a car which has decided today that it will go into gear but only when the engine is switched off...

WillingtonWanderer Fri 30-Dec-16 15:53:30

The trouble is if you don't know the area you may not end up in the nicest part. I did some work in the office of a housing estate where the police were daily visitors and there was evidence of drug use lying around. I also know a social worker who says (her words not mine) that there is a lot of in breeding and a bad attitude to education in certain areas.

I do think parts of Winsford deserve the reputation expressed on this thread of avoid at all costs. I say this as someone who happily uses the swimming pool/library etc but would never live nearby.

Want2bSupermum Fri 30-Dec-16 16:57:11

For those who have jumped on my comments, my family have been in the area for generations. Crewe needed workers for the potteries and when production was moved to china the effect was like the mining towns in wales. What's happened with Crewe is that you now have up to 5 generations who have been unemployed. The reason for five generations is because the cycle is shorter. It's not uncommon to have your first between the age of 16 and 18 so grandparent by 40 and great grandparent at 60. Those from higher up socioeconomic groups have a much longer cycle so it's very unusual to have a great grandparent at all.

Also if anyone is in the local area they should know about the issues with Manchester and Liverpool both having housing shortages. Those who are moving more frequently are tenants who have had complaints made against them or who need to be rehomed after a term in prison. Neither are groups of people I want as neighbours.

The Op is looking to spend a huge amount of money buying a home which their family will live in and their DC will be attending the local schools. I think northwich is a much better area.

Also, buying a home you need to think long term. There is a risk that the parts of winsford that are currently ok will not be in 10-15 years. Blacon 15 years ago wasn't as bad as it today. There are plenty of families stuck because they bought back then and the value of their home has gone down.

itsahen Fri 30-Dec-16 21:32:24

Hasn't Winsford got a quite nasty drug problem too? I used to think it was nice until a friend in the local police said its not as nice as you might think...

Want2bSupermum Sat 31-Dec-16 00:11:17

itsahen Its a town where a lot of addicts have been allowed to move to (from Liverpool and Manchester) in order to help them stay clean. It was a great idea in theory but these people were moved to a town where there aren't many jobs or connections to towns with jobs plus minimal support was in place when they were moved in. It was a recipe for disaster in terms of staying clean.

blackpoolassy Sat 31-Dec-16 04:30:43

super excellent posts

Tiffany11 Sun 08-Jan-17 01:14:08

Well I'm going to rock the boat here. I love Winsford and I've lived in Sale, Cheshire for 25 years! I can't comment on the schools as my daughter has remained at the High School in Sale as we commute to work. However, the neighbours all seem quite pleased with the schools. Just do your research there are plenty to choose from! There is a lot of bad press about Winsford but I can tell you the Streetcrime for the last 2 years was higher in Sale than where we live now in Winsford. I researched it well before we moved! The house in Winsford was 100K cheaper, so we made a killing on selling our house in Sale. The new house has a very large garden, 4 bedrooms, 3 toilets, utility, en-suite and large conservatory. Neighbours are lovely. We are a stone's throw from Weaver Way and beautiful river walks. Have yet to cycle along Whitegate Way towards Cuddington but can't wait. We are close to Delamere Forest and fairly close to Tatton. Winsford Centre is not fab aesthetically but has a good choice of shops (New Look, Burtons, Dorothy Perkins, Boots, Asda etc). I have read that it will be re-vamped eventually. We often drive to Northwich to shop (10 minutes in car) and went to the New Barons Quay cinema there. I love driving in less traffic (Washway Road in Sale was a nightmare). I have met only lovely friendly people when I walk my dog. My 16 year old son is going to the fab Reaseheath College which has a bus running directly there from Winsford. There is a large council estate in Wharton which gives Winsford a bad name. We live in a quiet cul de sac in Wharton and we saw more "trouble" by youth gangs in Sale! Haven't seen any here yet! The properties along and around Swanlow Lane are gorgeous. I'm going to the local church family service at 4pm this Sunday. It's each to their own but financially, property-wise - and for the countryside I am far happier here than I was in Sale so don't believe everything you read about Winsford - some of us simply love it here! I feel like I've dropped out of the rat race and come home! 😃 P.S. There are some amazing sunsets from the Weaver Way walk!

dawntigga Sat 28-Jan-17 07:09:47

You know, for a town apparently rife with crime and drug addicts? The fact I've (more often than I'd like to admit to) forgotten to lock my car and house door and never ever had anything taken is nothing short of a miracle.
I lived in Northwich for a while and in the first three weeks my car was broken into and we were burgled.

FunnyHowThatWorksTiggaxx

Nasreen Fri 10-Feb-17 20:07:48

Winsford is an absolute dump! doesn't have one single redeeming feature. The town is VERY depressing indeed. The landlords are bankrupt and there is NO investment. Steer clear!

Slave2four Sun 18-Jun-17 12:27:20

Winsfird has always has a terrible rep. Schools have been in special measures. The accents of the majority is awful. High unemployed. High teen pregnancies. Crewe about the same. Northwich fairs better in some areas.

CheshireEditor Tue 20-Jun-17 09:40:07

Yikes Slave to 4! That's harsh. Not all schools are in special measures! The accent is about the same as other areas nearby and as for teen pregnancies, what info do you base this on?

harris2012 Mon 05-Mar-18 09:55:00

Come across this post we are currently thinking of moving to Winsford to a new build. Any updated opinions would be gladly appreciated.
Many thanks

NMCFundraising Wed 14-Mar-18 14:27:48

Hello! smile My name is Teresa and I am the Events Manager at The Neuromuscular Centre. We are a charity based in Winsford, and we support people with Muscular Dystrophy.

We have an exciting and varied calendar of annual events, but I thought I would share our upcoming event with you as it is a fun, family day out! Our Easter Bunny Run is being held on Saturday 24th March at Blakemere Village, located in Sandiway, Northwich.

It is a 5k route around the woodland part of Blakemere Village, and is accessible for wheelchairs and pushchairs. Every participant will receive a pair of flashing bunny ears, plus an Easter goody bag upon completion! Also, along the route there will be 100 hidden paper eggs.. all which can be exchanged for real chocolate eggs at the finish line!

This is a family friendly fun run suitable for all ages, and the ability to run is not necessary! We encourage you to walk, jog or even hop in aid of NMC. 

Registration is £7.50 for adults, child entry (under 16) is £5, and Under 5’s go free!

To register, please call 01606 861733 for a sponsor form to be sent to you, or visit www.nmcentre.com. There is no minimum sponsorship required to take part.  Alternatively, please feel free to come along and sign up on the day!

‘Hop’ to see you there!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »