Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got girls currently at Hornsey School for Girls?

(6 Posts)
AllyPallyFamily Sat 03-Dec-16 10:08:45

Hello!

My daughter will start secondary school in 2018.

I was given a tour of Hornsey School yesterday and was very impressed - it has great facilities in really lovely grounds, with such a lot of outdoor space, trees, fields, picnic areas and little allotments etc, and looking through the doors of lessons the girls seemed really happy and engaged. It's a relatively small school which I also like. The art rooms, performing arts block, numerous gyms and outdoor sports courts, concert space, canteen and library all seemed fantastic, and the ethos of women aiming as high as possible, and working creatively, really appeals to me. But I don't know any family who has children there so it's hard for me to get the inside view!

If anyone has a girl currently in Year 7 or 8 (or currently in any year really!), or a girl/boy in the sixth form, I'd love to hear how they are getting on there, and how you find it.

Thank you!

Gio Sun 15-Oct-17 11:30:51

Hi, I'm the same, have a daughter who would start in Sept 2018. I really liked the school too, for all the reasons you said above. It's less than 10 minutes walk from us and we also really liked Parliament Hill but unlikely to get an offer in March and would have to sweat it out until maybe an offer came through.
I have a couple of friends who are keen to send daughters there too. I know one mum whose daughter is in Year 8 and they seem pleased with it. Let me know if you want to chat more....but it seems more and more likely we will choose Hornsey first, Giovanna

WhatwouldOliviaPopedo Sun 15-Oct-17 16:29:53

We live locally and while our DD is still at primary we already know we'll be sending her there. Lots of friends of ours have DDs who are pupils and they love it for all the reasons you've said OP. The pastoral care is brilliant by all accounts and it's now one of the best performing secondaries in this borough and neighbouring ones. It ticks all the boxes for us.

MaxineQuordlepleen Tue 17-Oct-17 18:52:06

DD just started year 7. She loves it. I love the pro-girl atmosphere and the fact that no subject is ever going to be seen as a “boy’s subject”. Has a nice atmosphere generally, lots of interesting clubs and events. Really happy with our choice.

longestlurkerever Wed 18-Oct-17 08:12:53

That's totally fine if that's your preference. Personally I see her classroom and teacher every day, her work in class once a month as well as what she brings home in her school bag. Her school prefers children not to attend parents' evening and a conversation about progress could easily be done by Skype. It's not a biggie, I can arrange childcare or miss work, I just think it'd be easier and this wouldn't send any negative message to my children about how much I value education. The notion it would is ridiculous.

longestlurkerever Wed 18-Oct-17 08:21:23

Oops wrong thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now