Advanced search

What should I do if I plan to stay in Manchester

(7 Posts)
rebeccatam Tue 25-Oct-16 04:57:02

Hello dear all moms. I am from Hong Kong and holding the British Citizen passport. I have two kids aged 4 and 2. I plan to have long-stay in Manchester with my kids and husband. However, my citizenship cannot be passed on to my kids directly (my type of citizenship is "by descent"). That means I have to bring my kids to live in UK for 3 years before they can register as Brisith Citizen. I am planing to buy a flat in Manchester for living. In this connection, may I know for the first 3 years of staying, can my kids enter into the state school as a local student? Also, what is the first step if I plan to stay in Manchester? e.g. Registering the identity at the local Council, creating a bank account in UK, etc? I have tried to serach as much as possible the information from, still I could not get the exact answers there. So I guess I need assistance from all moms here.
Thanks a lot !! Let's stay in touch for further discussion.

Many thanks.

SarahFreck Tue 25-Oct-16 21:45:20

I can't answer all your questions but I do know your children do not need to be British citizens to attend school. You will need to be living at a local address though before they can be registered in a school. You will also need a UK address to open a British bank account although it may be different for HSBC bank. Can you make enquires with HSBC in HK and ask if an HSBC account in HK can be transferred to a British branch.

SarahFreck Tue 25-Oct-16 21:49:03

Also, children are not eligable for school until the September before they turn 5 ( or the September they actually turn 5 if they have a September birthday.) This means c your 2 year old will not be attending school for a while yet. There are state nursery places for 3 to 4 year olds but they are often only for half days not full days.

rebeccatam Wed 26-Oct-16 03:12:33

Thank you so much for your advice, SarahFreck. Yes, you remind me that I should enquire HSBC for the transferal of account. smile

As long as the children living at a local address, they can enter the state school, and the school fee will be same as the british citizen one, am I correct? Can anyone advise me of the websites that I can read more information on the state school in UK/Manchester? For example, the application procedures, the catchments, and etc.

Appreciated and thanks !!

Pengweng Wed 26-Oct-16 08:26:32

Hi. The school procedures vary depending on which area or council you come under. If you know it will be manchester council then google manchester council primary school applications and it will direct you to the correct webpage. State schools do not charge fees for a school place. So unless you wanted to privately educate them it will be free. You can not apply however until you have secured an address and are actually living in it so would need to do in an year application.

You might get more responses if you move this to the primary education topic.

knickernicker Wed 26-Oct-16 13:33:05

Do you have any preferred areas of Manchester? You will find good schools in the Trafford areas such as Urmston, Flixton, Sale and Altrincham.

rebeccatam Thu 27-Oct-16 05:08:17

Thank you very much for your advice, Pengweng. It's been very helpful!!

Knickernicker, no, no idea yet. The good schools you mentioned are from the state one? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »