Talk

Advanced search

Phil and Jim's

(9 Posts)
JohnHunter Sat 20-Aug-16 21:50:17

My wife and I are currently in Oxford and trying to determine whether or not to stay here for the next few years. We have a two year old son and so need to consider school catchment areas.

There is obviously a thriving independent sector in North Oxford and beyond but there also appears to be a cult following around Phil and Jim's, i.e. SS Philip and James’ Church of England Primary School. In particular, I have spoken to lots of families wanting to move into the Phil and Jim's catchment area.

Interestingly, all previous Ofsted inspections have awarded the school a "good" grade rather than "outstanding". I don't imagine (for one moment) that Ofsted has the final say on school quality but I am curious to learn what its (very positive) local reputation is based upon.

I would also be interested to know whether most state primary schools permit visits from potential parents. It's difficult to make moving / catchment area decisions without seeing the local schools. The independent schools are (perhaps unsurprisingly) a lot more forthcoming about how to visit.

Zimbolino Sun 21-Aug-16 21:44:35

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2363025-Oxford-Wolvercote-and-Phil-Jims?pg=1

Zimbolino Sun 21-Aug-16 21:45:23

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2632467-Phil-Jims-Oxford

Sunshineonacloudyday Sun 21-Aug-16 21:57:26

I would look at SATs results that is more important and also consistency.

Doughnutsforbreakfast Mon 22-Aug-16 06:37:00

From a friends experience s few years ago I would also make sure you have a solid plan B, because P&J is extremely oversubscribed.

AlderMane Mon 09-Oct-17 15:40:46

I suggest you read the Ofsted report. there are two other schools which are equally good i.e. St Aloysius and St Barnabas. Not to forget Wolvercote primary is also equally good.

CommanderShepard Mon 09-Oct-17 20:25:05

Where are you currently?

JohnHunter Mon 16-Oct-17 13:24:55

We are in Summertown (just out of the P&J catchment) but mobile and so could move as far in as was necessary.

A2014 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:06:22

My husband and I are in the same position. We have a young son and are considering remaining in the area to be in the P&J catchment. We have visited both P&J’s and Wolvercote schools. I called the school reception to arrange it. I would see a couple of schools before committing to the most sought after one as there may be a need for a plan B as a previous poster suggested.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: