Talk

Advanced search

Moving from Florida to Newark??

(5 Posts)
Floridagirl4 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:46:15

Hi there, my husband and I and our 5 year old daughter are planning to move back to the UK. Hubbie will be working in London but we want to live in one of the commuter towns in the midlands and don't want to be more than a few mins walk or drive from the train station ideally.
Looking at Newark and Grantham, but now shortlisted to Newark.
Love West Bridgford but too expensive for us. But looking with a place with a similar feel to the town centre part.
Is Newark a safe place to live? Is there much to do with kids? Safe clean playgrounds, parks efc? I love the cafe culture of some of the towns nowadays, does Newark offer this?
Thank you in advance for any advice!

Tamaya Sun 09-Oct-16 13:59:26

Hello Floridagirl4,

We live in the UK, looking to move to Newark. I have visited Newark few times fell in love with it town center. we are looking to buy a house in ollerton/ Newark.there is a new development called Avant Ruffod oaks. the houses are great with a new playground built for these houses. I don't know much more about the area really. I just thought I share whatever little information I have with you maybe it will help you. If you finally decide to move there I hope we can meet up I have 3 girls my youngest same age as yours.

NewarkResident Sun 09-Oct-16 19:49:17

Hi there.
I love Newark, and was born here. There are a number of independent cafes and pubs in the town. It's a traditional market town, with markets on three days a week. There are several parks, sconce park and Newark castle are probably the best and well maintained. We have bands playing on Sunday's in the castle grounds during summer too! (Free!)
I find it relatively safe here, there is one estate I would avoid, and a few other streets/areas that aren't great, but on the whole it's lovely.
The nice thing is you can walk anywhere in Newark as its a nice small town. Look for a terraced house, they are all in good areas.

Tamaya Sun 09-Oct-16 20:13:06

Hello NewarkResident ,

great to hear this information, you mentioned one state to avoid, which one is it ? we are looking to move soon and very worried might end up in a bad area sad

I appreciate any information you provide.

Thank you x

NewarkResident Sun 09-Oct-16 20:21:15

I think you would be able to tell instantly it would be one to avoid. I don't want to name on the thread, as there are a lot of lovely people living there who I wouldn't want to offend. It's simply that there is a much higher level of crime in that area, and you will be able to rent there for the same price as different different, nicer areas! I'll drop you a PM. However, I'll say again that if you go for a terraced house they are all in nice areas with reasonable rents (450-650pcm roughly depending on bedrooms).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now