Talk

Advanced search

Peak District self catering holiday help please

(3 Posts)
tribal Fri 01-Apr-16 15:19:22

We are looking for somewhere to stay in the Peak District (Buxton or thereabouts) for a long weekend in July (family event). There will be 3 adults so 2 bedrooms preferred. We like self catering so looking for a cottage, cabin, caravan or anything similar considered as long as it is clean and has a shower! It needs to have car parking as we will be bringing our car.
Anyone have any suggestions as we are not familiar with the area. Thank you

bestbringyourboots Fri 08-Apr-16 20:44:43

Hi tribal. Is your event in the town of Buxton itself? There are quite a few holiday cottages within walking distance of the town which would probably be an advantage if you are planning to be mainly based in Buxton (especially if you will be out in the evening/want to be able to have a drink). I know of one called 'the servants quarters' which is 2 bed and close of pubs/restaurants and close to the pavillion gardens (which is a nice victorian style park in the centre of town, which also has events etc especially in the summer). If you want to go country walking you would need to drive to the start of your walk if you are staying in Buxton itself, so if that's your plan you might want to look at a cottage in one of the outlying villages so you can walk without having to find somewhere else to park. If you're on a tighter budget there is a caravan park with static caravans (Lime Tree Park I think) which is within walking distance of Buxton, if you're reasonably fit adults.

You should be aware that July is usually theatre festival season in Buxton (more productions than usual at the Opera House, Arts centre and other venues plus a 'fringe' festival with more amateur acts). If this interests you you might want to stay in Buxton itself. The town carnival parade is Saturday 9 July- this tends to pretty much take over the town for a couple of hours in the afternoon which can make it difficult getting around in the car if you need to be getting somewhere at that time. The market place also has a fun fair that weekend which can get a bit rowdy in the evening so if you're after peace and quiet that weekend I'd stay elsewhere, if you like that kind of local event then bring a picnic and join the rest of the town watching.

If you want to be outside Buxton then Hartington (nice cheese shop with local cheese, couple of nice pubs, a few shops, start point for quite a few walks) and Baslow (Chatsworth House, reasonable pubs/restaurants, more walks) might be worth a look. Dovedale's lovely for a not too strenuous walk but not sure there's much else there.

Hope some of this ramble is helpful.

tribal Sat 09-Apr-16 14:54:01

bestbringyourboots that is very helpful thank you. Yes we will be in Buxton for part of the day at the Pavilion Gardens but as we have a car are happy to travel a short distance. I will have a look at your suggestions thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »