Talk

Advanced search

Areas of Dunblane

(5 Posts)
Fe24 Mon 29-Feb-16 09:11:11

Good morning ladies. We're looking into moving to Dunblane within the next year. We've been in Dubai for 8yrs and never lived as a family in the UK, so all a bit scary! We've got two kids 3 & 1 and after living in a city we really want somewhere with more of a community. We've been looking on rightmove and there seems to be quite a few estates. Are they all near amenities? We don't want to have to drive everywhere. We would like to walk to school and maybe even a pub! I know I shouldn't ask but are there any areas we should stay away from? All advice welcome. Many thanks x

soontobeslendergirl Wed 02-Mar-16 20:28:10

It's not that big so technically everywhere is in walking distance of the village centre, however some bits are more hilly than others smile The estates up by the High School at at the top of a steepish hill. At the other end you have the area around Newton Primary which, looking ahead, is a long walk from the High School and no transport for the kids is available.

The council estate is George Street, edward street etc. I don't live in Dunblane so can't comment on whether these are generally ok or not.

I'd watch on the property listings hough as it often describes places as being in Dunblane when they aren't, just click on the Map and you can see where it is. Essentially Victoria School is the extent to the North and Dunblane High to the South. The A9 which is effectively more or less Motorway runs up the West side and Farmland/Golf course etc to the East.

There is a Tesco near the Railway station, an M&S food fairly near that and village shops such as butcher etc. There are a couple of pubs/cafes. There is loads going on in the Dunblane Centre for all ages so that's probably a good starting point for you when you move in.

Remember there is no petrol station so you need to remember to fill up when you are out in Stirling. Much larger supermarkets in Stirling and more pubs and shops in Bridge of Allan which is technically walkable and you can go via the Darn Walk cross country when the kids are bigger. Refuel at the Allan Water Cafe with Fish and Chips and Ice cream.

Happy to help with any further info, but my main interaction is with High School so I have limited knowledge of what is there for toddlers smile All the primaries are well thought of so that probably shouldn't influence your decision.

soontobeslendergirl Wed 02-Mar-16 20:30:01

Oh should add that it's very quiet on this page - might want to post again in Scotsnet for a bigger audience?

Fe24 Fri 04-Mar-16 15:33:49

Thank you very much for your response. I had noticed the page is quiet! I haven't heard of scotsnet! I will check it out. Thank you again xx

soontobeslendergirl Fri 04-Mar-16 15:42:30

No probs - Scotsnet sits under "Other stuff" I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »