Talk

Advanced search

Advice please on moving to Suffolk

(6 Posts)
jubbsey Sun 14-Feb-16 19:43:12

Hi, hope you can help me with some local knowledge as I have a fabulous idea, but don't know anything practical to make a decision on what to do! I should also apologise as I'm not a mum, but as i'd be looking for a teaching post, I'm sure you're the experts on what the schools are really like.

I'm considering a move from the midlands to Suffolk! I've always loved the area and have a hankering for a move. I have no family or friends in the area but had a few days having a look round last summer to get a feel for the area. I loved lots of places, but would like a bit of a community wherever I end up. I particularly liked Framlingham.

A lot of jobs seem to coming up in Ipswich. What are the LA and schools generally like in that area?

Thanks in anticipation

gardeningsarah Mon 15-Feb-16 07:54:53

Framingham is a lovely market town, the schools there are very good. Woodbridge is larger so probably has more going on, better transport links but is more expensive as far as buying a property. Again the schools are generally good.

Can't really comment on the schools in Ipswich but there are certainly some good schools. Are you a primary or secondary school teacher ? Feel free to ask more questions.

QuizteamBleakley Mon 15-Feb-16 17:07:01

Fram is lovely, much more so than Ipswich. Very personal question but do you plan to have a child/ren? My DCs attend a fab school and we live in a beautiful village that's equidistant from a beautiful city and some beaches. I'm happy to give you some ideas on where might suit, based on what you're after, short- and long-term. Feel free to PM me.

jubbsey Mon 15-Feb-16 19:21:56

Thank you both.
I'm a primary teacher and was thinking about whether it'd be do-able to work in Ipswich and live out in Fram or somewhere similar?

No plans for children so not looking to live within a particular catchment. I'd just like an area where there is some classes or groups going on to have a chance of making friends. I suppose the biggest part is where the jobs are!

gardeningsarah Wed 17-Feb-16 16:30:48

I would say it is do-able to live in Framlingham and commute to Ipswich for work but probably best if the school is the North or eastern side of Ipswich or even central Ipswich. Depends how long (time wise) you are prepared to commute.

jazzmin Fri 19-Feb-16 21:48:07

I'm a primary school teacher. There is a big difference in the tiny village schools and Ipswich schools. Pros and cons of both... When there are only 70 pupils you get lots of playground duties, subject coordination etc! Woodbridge, Ips and Fram all have lovely schools and plenty of village / town life to enjoy! Feel free to message me if you apply and I'll answer any questions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »