Talk

Advanced search

moving to south woodford - advice on schools please? :)

(5 Posts)
justimmy Sun 22-Mar-15 15:31:32

Hi!

With a little bit of luck, I will be moving to South Woodford with my two children (age 4 & 7) this summer. I am a single mum and we are coming all the way from Devon, so it's a big change! I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice re schools & places to go in the area. I have a few friends in London but I'd love to meet some 'mummy' friends!

The two nearest primaries to us will be Snaresbrook and Nightingale. Ofsteds both look good but I would LOVE to hear from parents whose children attend these schools.

Thank you! smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 03-Apr-15 21:59:01

I don't what the situ is with moving into a school beyond Reception, but I'd talk to Redbridge about waiting lists. They are probably long for the 7 year old. I was told 83 at Nightingale for Reception year from those that aren't near enough. Buy/rent a home as near as you can to the school you want, it will help you get to the top of the list.

Competition for London schools places is fierce...

On a more positive we are v happy with Nightingale. Son is in Yr2. There is a new Head, but she seems to bringing a new energy etc.

I also know Snarebrook parents. They are also happy. It went through a rocky period recently, but the issues are being addressed.

Basically, there are very few issues with most schools in Redbridge. The main barrier it spaces. I would investigate before you decide on where you will move to.

I have lived in S Woodford since 2001 and I love it.

There are a couple of v active Facebook Groups - Wanstead Mums & Bumps & Woodford, South Woodford and Wanstead Mums - join up and ask any questions there.

Hope your move goes smoothly. smile

justimmy Fri 03-Apr-15 22:17:21

Thanks so much, that's really encouraging! I am worried about the school places yes, we won't be moving until the beginning of the summer holidays and I believe I won't be able to apply for places until we are actually resident in the borough... have I got that right? And thanks for the tips for the mummy groups. I do have friends in london but i have zero mummy friends, so it would be wonderful to meet some smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 03-Apr-15 23:00:09

I don't know much about applying for places beyond Reception - sorry - but I would call the Admissions Dept at Redbridge. They should be able give you a sense of waiting lists. Getting v close to the school is key!

There is lots to do around here.

Good luck with the move.

hellohowareyou Fri 04-Dec-15 11:15:58

Hi
Just seen your post. We are in a similar situation and just wanted to know if you managed you get a place at the school...thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »