Talk

Advanced search

Is Ruchill really a bad area?

(11 Posts)
ColG Fri 20-Mar-15 20:03:55

I've been house shopping for a while now, and have found the most amazing Victorian house, lovely garden, loads of space and walk in condition, it ticks almost every box.

The problem is, I'm getting very mixed reports about the area - ranging from "lovely, very friendly" to "don't do it!"
Admittedly the negative comments I'm getting are from older people who knew Ruchill back in the 70's/80's when it was all tenement housing and full of druggies and crime. From what I know the whole area has been regenerated, apart from a small collection of lovely Victorian houses; all the council tenements were torn down in the (?)90's and private housing built.
The immediate area I'm looking at (Bilsland drive) looks nice, clean, houses look good, but of course I'm really worried about some of the things I've been hearing.

Does anyone have personal experience of the area?

cla2012 Sun 22-Mar-15 10:29:57

Hi, I don't know much about Ruchill other than I think of the hospital when I hear the name. Bilsland Drive is probably closer to Maryhill and the west end too which is good for nearby places, transport etc.

I live in the east end which is considered awful, I've lived here all my life and found most people lovely. I have great neighbours and a lovely wee house (could do with more space though!) but I do see people recoil at the mention of the east end!

I think it's your neighbours and the house that make a place home...not the postcode!

AgentProvocateur Sun 22-Mar-15 22:33:01

It's not a nice area. There's good and bad everywhere, of course, but I did outreach work there for a while and I wouldn't choose to live there. I did meet some lovely families, but there were some horror stories too.

oneballyhoobird Mon 23-Mar-15 18:34:20

I wouldn't and I live ten minutes away, sorry.

trickie1 Fri 03-Apr-15 17:51:49

I grew up in Maryhill, I haven't been in Ruchill for many, many years but I wouldn't consider it for an area to live in. Have you spent any time in the area? Even driving through it at night? At the weekend? I know schools etc will also be a consideration but I would try having a wee look at the street you want to live in during evenings/nights/weekends.

I remember once driving under the bridge in Bisland Dr with a couple of children in the car with me. I just heard a thud and a small brick/stone landed on my windscreen. Apparently there were kids on the bridge throwing stones and bricks, any hard objects down on the cars.

Might have improved now but I wouldn't take the chance.

trixymalixy Fri 03-Apr-15 17:53:47

I wouldn't want to live there, sorry.

lauraam2001 Mon 20-Apr-15 20:54:24

I live in Ruchill & there's definitely some rough as badgers bits. The newer house build areas are nice and quiet, but Bisland Drive is notorious. Even now. Don't even go near Ruchill or Mayfield Street - the police are there regularly.
The new bits are really lovely. My neighbours are sound and its really quiet.

VodkaKnockers Mon 04-May-15 23:45:41

I lived on Bilsland Drive 10yr ago and would never move back.

Most of Ruchill is lovely but as laura said that street will alway be notorious.

giggly Fri 08-May-15 23:38:54

You'll be wondering why there is an affordable Victorian house for sale there? Area has been spruced up and lots of newish Wimpey houses built about 10 years ago but still full of the original tenement tenants. I wouldn't move there in a million years.

Jimi72 Sun 23-Jul-17 05:42:41

I lived in ruchill in the late 80's-90's when it was at it's worse. I saw real depravation and desperation, I'm glad they pulled it down! I left Glasgow and never came back,no way was I going to raise my kids there. Best thing I ever done.

primitivemom Sun 20-Aug-17 00:40:23

Everywhere has good bits and bad bits surely?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: