Talk

Advanced search

'Nice' parts of High Wycombe?

(8 Posts)
CrystalSkull Thu 19-Feb-15 21:04:02

DP and I are looking for a house in High Wycombe as it's the midpoint between our two workplaces. It seems very convenient and good value, but we've heard the horror stories!

We have no plans for DC any time soon, so catchment areas are of no concern. We just want somewhere that is safe and within a mile of the train station.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on areas/roads that we should avoid. I've read previous threads about HW that mention places like Totteridge, but without being more specific, I wouldn't know which roads they refer to.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Southbucksoldbuffer Sat 21-Feb-15 13:21:26

High Wycombe is much the same as other towns around. Yes there are good and bad parts as there are elsewhere. However your definition of good/bad may not be the same as mine. I'm not keen on High Wycombe purely because of their parking policy of removing all free on road parking within walking distance 3/4 mile of the town centre. I much prefer Maidenhead because the council appear to be intent on drawing people into the town centre rather than sending them to the out of town shopping.
I have lived in the area for nearly 60 years and I have found less and less reasons to visit.High Wycombe in that time. That does not mean it might suit you however.

Southbucksoldbuffer Sat 21-Feb-15 13:23:26

As it might suit you.

CrystalSkull Sat 21-Feb-15 23:22:46

Thanks for the reply and the insight. I can honestly say that the parking thing would not bother us, and neither would the town centre, as we tend to order most things online anyway. What matters is somewhere that is reasonably safe to walk back to after dark and that won't present too many issues with antisocial behaviour etc.

Southbucksoldbuffer Sun 22-Feb-15 15:05:30

You are very welcome my experience of living in Wycombe itself was 35 years ago when I had a girlfriend with a flat in Conegra road (just of Totteridge road) about 5 min walk to the station. It was a very nice quiet cul de sac never had any trouble. Hope you find somewhere nice.

compleat Mon 23-Feb-15 08:39:39

if you are only looking within a mile of a the station then you haven't got a lot to worry about anyway. It's all the same area!

What is your budget?

CrystalSkull Fri 27-Feb-15 18:19:56

Budget is 400K.

AliceandMatt Thu 11-Oct-18 08:59:25

There are plenty of lovely areas in High Wycombe. West wycombe road is getting a lot of renovation and is close to the town centre. Or somewhere on Amersham road, Easten Street or London Road - these would be very close to the station. For your budget, it might be worth looking a little further out (like Sands, hughenden, downley) as taxis arent too expensive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: