Talk

Advanced search

Is York very bohemian?

(3 Posts)
Yorkshirelass444 Tue 20-Jan-15 12:19:23

Hi ladies, I am a 43 yr old mother of 2 and am toying with the idea of moving to York. In fact, it's either York or Bristol.
What I like about Bristol is that it has a very arty- dare I say, "cool", side to it. Also I have family there.
However, we may have the opportunity to send our kids to Bootham school and this excites me as I love the ethos of the school.
So, without wishing to sound like a pretentious eejut, does York have it's share of arty types, bars, shops etc- or is it well-heeled but quite middle of the road?
I notice it has a thriving university which is very promising.
Thanks in advance.

AlienAbroad Tue 20-Jan-15 23:22:11

Hi 444,
I'm local to York and am very much an arty type, being an artist! There are a few art supplier type shops in the centre, but as for bars I don't really know as I don't use them.
If you visit the shops that hug the castle walls both inside and out, you'll find some interesting independent types that cater for all tastes.

www.york.gov.uk/info/200158/arts_and_culture
www.yorkcountyarts.org
www.yorkcity.org
www.yorkopenstudios.co.uk

As for the Arts there is a massive amount happening all the time. I've put a few links above which gives an idea, and I can certainly recommend the open studios weekends.

Yorkshirelass444 Wed 21-Jan-15 09:40:11

Thank you so much Alien- I'll make myself a cuppa and work through those links!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: